Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why fly fishing?

Default Why fly fishing?

Sitting here stuck to my computer to do some photo shop work in this dreary looking weather day and began to wonder why do people fly fish. I started a long time ago as a challenge and a way to get away from the world for a few hours. Now I only do my hobbies like photography and fishing. Why do you fly fish?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45.JPG 
Views:	355 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	15480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47.JPG 
Views:	409 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	15481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	15482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	49.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	15483

For one thing, I’m a better person in almost all respects after some time in and around water...and preferably not around other people. To me, I feel like I become reminded of so much about life and the world as a whole when I remove a lot of the daily distractions that inundate so much of our time otherwise. True, there are other ways to spend time in the outdoors that also do this, including other kinds of fishing; but for me personally, few of them are as deeply absorbing. Fly fishing both allows, and demands, a certain level of attention to details. It’s a kind of focus and attention that I rarely have for other things in life, and (much like photography) it forces me to see and appreciate things that I might otherwise overlook.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I enjoy the challenge, that there is so much to learn and every time you hit the water you have to figure out "the mystery" of how to catch fish at that time. Very often, once I've figured it out, I stop fishing. It's not a numbers or size thing with me, I just like to solve the mystery, to put all of the accumulated knowledge and experience to the test until I catch a few. A bonus is that trout are often found in beautiful places and then I can revel in the scenery and atmosphere.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

For me there are two main reasons, first, the mental challenge of selecting the right fly for the moment along with the right presentation and the other elements that are needed to catch a fish. Second, fly fishing is more like hunting than other forms of fishing.

I fly fish because my Dad was in to it and introduced it and fly tying to me 40 years ago. Its kinda a part of me. That said i enjoy other types of fishing sometimes more and sometimes less than fly fishing. I like the fly rod when it is the best ‘tool’ for the ‘job’

Been doing it for 65 years or so and see no reason to quit.

Takes me away...both to locations with natural beauty and a mind change. The challenge much like hunting, and as stated above, it does take thought. It’s good tonic for the brain.
    Exit 7

Cause its fun, the places I do it are beautiful and it makes me happy. I'm a simple man.

For me, fly fishing and fly tying are closely intertwined. I have been fly fishing for over 45 years and fly tying for over 35 years. What enhances my enjoyment of fly fishing is trying to find "the" fly that the fish can't resist. I'm realistic enough to realize that no one fly will work all of the time. So I keep working on "the" fly that will work on the particular lake or stream that I am planning to fish. Even this goal may seem to be an impossible dream but I find it a great deal of fun trying. Sometimes I develop my own flies from scratch. Most often, however, I am tweaking existing patterns to make them more irresistible. And if and when I do find "the" fly (or something close to it), I can be pretty sure that no one else is using that same pattern.

Why does it keep me coming back? because its hard and its impossible to master. It requires a level of focus and concentration that gear fishing does not. When I'm trying to figure a river out, figure the bugs out, choose the right fly, make the right cast and presentation, I'm 100% absorbed in what I'm doing and not thinking about bills, about work, about the crap going in in the world around us. For a day or just a few hours I'm completely lost in something else. Its a mental vacation as much as anything else.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.