Thread: Heads up on Fishermen going to Mexico

Default Heads up on Fishermen going to Mexico

Hey guys,

Just a heads up on any of you guys planning on fishing in Mexico this year, If you have a hotel your staying with in Mexico "this is the time" to pay your reservations off, The Paso right now today is cheaper today then I have ever seen it.

Good luck

Carl Blackledge

You might not want to pay off that hotel bill right now Carl. The Peso is cratering since COVID-19 broke out (down 19%) and is expected to decline about as bad as the stock market. So, it's gonna drop a lot lower. And good luck getting a refund from a Mexican hotel when you might not be able to get there/back once travel restrictions tighten up with mandatory quarantine provisions.
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 03-13-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WLREDBAND View Post
    You might not want to pay off that hotel bill right now Carl. The Peso is cratering since COVID-19 broke out (down 19%) and is expected to decline about as bad as the stock market. So, it's gonna drop a lot lower. And good luck getting a refund from a Mexican hotel when you might not be able to get there/back once travel restrictions tighten up with mandatory quarantine provisions.
    We are keeping our fingers crossed about further travel restrictions/quarantines right now. By mid June I was originally hopeful things would be winding down, no big deal; starting to look more likely that things will be a lot worse instead. Not much we can do at this point other than wait and see. We’ve got a fair bit already spent on the trip, but won’t be making any more non refundable payments until we have a better sense of whether or not we will still be able to go. I’m trying to keep it all in perspective though, lots of folks are dealing with much worse fears over this than just a few thousand dollars and a fishing trip. Still, it’s stressful.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Wlredband.

I pulled the trigger the other day on paying my hotel off, The hotel offers 18 1/2 to 1 for the Peso, I received 22.1 to 1 for my dollar, I am very comfortable with that ratio, and I have been dealing with the same hotel for 20 years, I have seen lots of people cancel and get a full refund on there credit card.

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Wlredband.

I pulled the trigger the other day on paying my hotel off, The hotel offers 18 1/2 to 1 for the Peso, I received 22.1 to 1 for my dollar, I am very comfortable with that ratio, and I have been dealing with the same hotel for 20 years, I have seen lots of people cancel and get a full refund on there credit card.

Carl Blackledge
    Sure but this may be a different animal altogether.

And today the US State Department issued a do not travel abroad advisory.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ory-issue.html

Canada has already closed their border to any entry for recreational purposes. Their fishing tourism industry is going to get creamed if that isn't lifted by June.

Yep, and the Peso is still cratering. Now down 29.1% to a new low of 24.94. And from the US State Dept, Level 4 Travel Advisory, Do Not Travel, for all international destinations. Like Clint Eastwood said, "Do you feel lucky". I don't and ain't doing any prepaid travel any where for the rest of the year. I might do some short notice travel (if possible and safe) but if it requires pre-payment, No Way Jose.

"The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel. Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice. Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips. If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe."

Quote Originally Posted by ifsteve View Post
    Sure but this may be a different animal altogether.

And today the US State Department issued a do not travel abroad advisory.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ory-issue.html

Canada has already closed their border to any entry for recreational purposes. Their fishing tourism industry is going to get creamed if that isn't lifted by June.
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 03-19-2020 at 07:32 PM.

Yes, things are still very dynamic and fast moving. Fingers crossed that some of those restrictions may ease in a couple months, but if I had to gamble... my money would be on things being worse in a couple months, not better. We still have flight reservations, and an AirBnB that’s half paid. At this point we are just waiting to see....
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Personally, you may not want to wait until the last minute to decide to cancel. Some of my friends decided to wait and see, and they all lost all of their money because the lodges cancellation policy was under 30 days notice, there is no refund or rescheduling, period. 60 days advance notice had different policies, and some were able to reschedule to a later date with no penalty. If they had decided earlier, they may not have lost everything. I'd recommending checking with the businesses you have given money to see what their cancellation policies are and then making an informed decision. Some businesses are being kind and considerate, and some are not. Of note, today the US closed the border with Mexico to all non-essential travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Yes, things are still very dynamic and fast moving. Fingers crossed that some of those restrictions may ease in a couple months, but if I had to gamble... my money would be on things being worse in a couple months, not better. We still have flight reservations, and an AirBnB that’s half paid. At this point we are just waiting to see....
    JB
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

Fishtopher,

I am not sure what lodges your talking about?

In Mexico where I stay they have a 48 hour cancellation notice and you will receive a full refund.

I would never send money to anybody or any place without first knowing the rules.

Carl Blackledge