Thread: Korkers interchangeable soles

Default Korkers interchangeable soles

In need of new boots this year and I have always worn some style of simms. Most recent having the BOA lacing system which I have decided now that I want to get away from and go back to laces. I am wondering what opinions and reviews you may have about korkers boots and the interchangeable soles. Do the soles hold up well? do they stay in place over time? my other concern is the snap on the heel of the boot and breaking that piece hand having floppy soles. I Really like the idea of rubber and felt options. my fishing buddies and I like to fish the Pit a lot and i find myself using the rocks to really wedge myself into place when wading aggressively (perhaps why my boa laces break so frequently

thanks

I had a pair of Korkers interchangable soles boots. I do NOT recommend them. I only got about a year on them, and then the retention strap and the boot snap started cracking and soon split completely apart rendering the boot useless. Even when the strap and snap were in place, if you got stuck in thick mud they could pull off. I have heard that Korkers has pretty good customer service and will replace stuff readily, but they refused to replace mine since I did not personally buy them (I won them at my fly clubs raffle). But given I only got a year on them before they failed, I wouldn't want that replacement hassle anyways. Interchangable soles sounds like a great idea (and it is), but durability was a serious issue for me. I'm glad I didn't pay for them or I would be very angry, and I will never buy boots from them.

I’ve had several pair of Korkers, and I like them a lot. For the most part. I too have had numerous issues with the heel tab failing on the soles, and in my opinion this is the biggest negative about their products. I’ve not found that the soles come off easily, even after being stuck in mud. I did contact Korkers about the sole issues on mine, and they were great to deal with in my case. They said if I could send them pictures of the faulty soles (between my wife’s boots and mine we had three), they would send the replacements that day. They apparently have done some improvements to the attachment knob, and to their boa laces, but they really do need to fix the heel strap. In my opinion, I think it’s just under too much tension, and doesn’t need to be that tight. For the price, and the fit, the sole options, and customer service I’m still happy with mine and will likely buy another set. Ymmv
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

After my retention strap breaks I drill a hole near the back edge of the heel and use a stainless steel zip tie and a plastice zip tie to secure the sole to the boot. Works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    After my retention strap breaks I drill a hole near the back edge of the heel and use a stainless steel zip tie and a plastice zip tie to secure the sole to the boot. Works well.

Peter, can you post a picture?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JayDubP View Post
    Peter, can you post a picture?

Jim
    Sure...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200315_113757.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	15484

The steel zip ties should last a little longer than the nylon ties. I carry a couple extra with me just in case.
    Last edited by Peter S; 03-15-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    Sure...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200315_113757.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	15484

The steel zip ties should last a little longer than the nylon ties. I carry a couple extra with me just in case.

Smartly done!

I bought one of the first ones that they came out with, and my experience was comparable to what Redband experienced. The straps held up very poorly, and lost soles in the middle of wading heavy current. I got NO response from their customer service after both calls and multiple emails.

I would have to assume that both the product and CS had improved, but it doesn’t sound like they have by very much. Refusing to honor a warranty because you won the boots? And having to come up with a fix, creative as it is, because their product didn’t hold up? Even JasonB, who likes them, agreed that there are fairly serious design flaws. There are just too many other decent options out there to buy a great idea but poor design and follow through. My $0.02.