Thread: Spring Trip Ideas

Default Spring Trip Ideas

Looking for some spring break trip ideas. Early April and am willing to travel a decent distance, 5 to 6 hours from the East Bay. Son is turning 15 and we need some time together. Would like to get him into fish, so the initial thought is small mouth. Just don’t know any decent water which will support this initial thought or if this is even possible in the Spring.

We have a large kayak, SUP, and a fish cat, so water mobility is covered.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Even if it’s just a general area...I’m OK doing some home work. Thanks for your input.
    Exit 7

Lake Almanor smallie bite should be starting up close to that time. Lake Sahsta, Folsom Lake, The Delta also have smallies. If you're looking for something on the trout side, Lower Sacramento River, Feather River, Yuba River, Pyramid Lake.
    Joe Garza
    J.A.G. Fly Fishing
    jagflyfishing@gmail.com
    (530)570-0978

Crappie bite at Berryessa or Clear Lake is hot. Both also offer the spring bass bite at that time. Spotted bass at Oroville, Bullards Bar or Englebright are good. Camanche and Lake Amador have bass, crappie, bluegill and holdover trout from winter plants. There isn't a better month for warmwater fish than April, especially this year with early spring.

Thanks very much for the input and ideas. A friend suggested Lake Sonoma mainly because of the boat-in camp sites. Got a little recon to do, thanks again.
    Exit 7

Steelhead on the Feather, trout on the Lower Sac and Yuba and if water is favorable then some stripers on Yuba, Feather and American.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Collins Lake,lots of easy fish and some very large,plus camping,and ice cream

Quote Originally Posted by jersey View Post
    Early April and am willing to travel a decent distance, 5 to 6 hours from the East Bay.
    I'm hoping going fishing is "essential travel" for Bay Area residents.

An almost guarantee for success and a plethora of area water to fish would be Lake Almanor, Butts Lake and the entire Feather River drainage! Good luck. Wherever you end up your son will love just hanging out with you!

Sean

If essential travel puts us 600 yards away from another human, then yes, it is essential.

Your input is truly helpful, thanks again.
    Exit 7

Lake Sonoma is open to boats. Nothing else. Launch, play, trailer-up and go home...that’s it.

Oh well, I’ll tell the kid the lake is blown-out.
    Exit 7