Thread: Pyramid lake midge hook

Default Pyramid lake midge hook

Tying up some flies for a trip to pyramid lake next week, wondering if anyone can recommend a good hook for chironomids. The #10-12 nymph hooks im using seem to have a very close gap even when the fly is tied skinny on the hook, wondering what you guys use for a wider gap...i am not very knowledgeable when it comes to tying so any help is appreciated. I tried searching the forum because i remember reading exact hook models somewhere here but cant find the post i read. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Tying up some flies for a trip to pyramid lake next week, wondering if anyone can recommend a good hook for chironomids. The #10-12 nymph hooks im using seem to have a very close gap even when the fly is tied skinny on the hook, wondering what you guys use for a wider gap...i am not very knowledgeable when it comes to tying so any help is appreciated. I tried searching the forum because i remember reading exact hook models somewhere here but cant find the post i read. Thanks
    TMC 2457 size 10 & 8's Baby !!!!

I like 'em !!!

Bob

Reno Fly Shop recommended Firehole Sticks 316 in 8 -12. K
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    TMC 2457 size 10 & 8's Baby !!!!

I like 'em !!!

Bob
    I’ve had great success with these as well at Pyramid and for Shad flies.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Great thank you guys! Picked some up today and think theyll be much better than what i had

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Great thank you guys! Picked some up today and think theyll be much better than what i had
    Don't forget to smash the barb if you went the TMC 2457 (or similar) route !!!!

Bob

Check out the TMC TMC2499SP-BL hook.

https://www.tiemco.co.jp/eng/groups/view/96

It's similar to the TMC2457 but it does not have quite the same curve.

I find it to be a very versatile hook. I tie all kinds of sub-surface and terrestrial flies on the TMC2499SP-BL hook.

I like the straight eye and it's a proven winner when sticking it to large fish. It's already barbless so that is a bonus.

Judging from the pictures the TMC2499 looks very similar to the aforementioned Firehole Sticks 316.
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb