Quote Originally Posted by WLREDBAND View Post
My reaction to this video is "MEH", just another special interest group (guides), pimping for the cause that benefits them economically the most without considering the negative impacts their desire brings. The majority of the video was screaming we want more hatchery fish, and that is at best a short term band-aid solution. At worst, it causes significant problems for natural production. They want all the surplus fish returned to the river because they think that will increase production, but the reality is due to the density dependent mortality factors mentioned by Fishtopher, that production goal will not be achieved. What they advocate is bad science, and they really should discuss their goals with some professional and academically qualified people before they proclaim something that is not true. The downfall of our salmon populations have very little to do with not enough hatchery production and everything to do with poor habitat and water management practices.
That's a pretty shallow assessment... I bet your son, Christopher/Fishtopher makes more money as a biological consultant than these guides make guiding the rivers. I make NO money off the fisheries of the American River and I likely know it as well as or better than any guide or fisheries biologist alive. My advocacy is for the fish first and secondly, the fishermen... but I am so sick of seeing grant monies awarded to projects that neither provide for the fish nor the sport of fishing by agencies that really don't give a shit... At least the NCGASA folks are doing something (with private money instead of DWR's and BOR's dirty money that biologists spend on worthless f-ing projects) to make a positive difference so that the sport of fishing does not, along with our fisheries, disappear...