Thread: Dry Bag Mods

Default Dry Bag Mods

I was wondering if anyone has tried making mods to their dry / semi dry bags (i.e. Patagonia storm front / simms dry creek z / fishpond)? I'm looking at installing a D ring and maybe some material for extra accessories. I just got a Simms Dry Creek Z puss pack and it has no loops or attachments on the right side......
    I was thinking of using the same glue and maybe material I would use on repairing my pontoon cover (PVC?) same material as most heavy rafts I believe (creek company ODC 12).

Any thoughts or experience?

J. Ice

You've got the right idea...

NRS has both the D-rings and the glues you need.

https://www.nrs.com/boating_tips/qui...SAAEgL2v_D_BwE

https://www.nrs.com/search/?q=d%20ring

John

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

I have an ancient 100% waterproof backpack called the Aquaknot made by Seattle Sports. It's essentially a rubberized fabric bag with straps and buckles attached using a welded process. Several of the attachment points were peeling loose. I tried Aquaseal but it wasn't strong enough. Someone on Blanton's board suggested the marine epoxy G-Flex. I pulled the attachment points to find all the loose sections, then cleaned the surfaces well removing all loose rubber and wiping with acetone, then lightly roughed up the rubberized surface with 120 grit sandpaper. I re glued the attachment points using G-Flex and clamped them in place (using wax paper to prevent gluing my clamps to my pack). That was maybe 7 or 8 years ago and the repairs are holding better than the original. The advantage of the G-Flex is it remains somewhat flexible, which in a waterproof bag made from rubberized or coated fabric is important.

I also tried to repair the belt attachments on an old Simms lumbar pack. Once again, the welded attachment points were pealing loose from the pack itself. I tried the Aquaseal routine and the repairs didn't last a day. That pack was falling apart in other non-repairable ways so I got a new one rather than re gluing the belt attachments.

Thought I had some photos but can't find them now. But give G-Flex some consideration. It creates a super strong connection (I think the fabric will delaminate or rip before the glue joint will fail) and it remains flexible.
    Last edited by DLJeff; 03-07-2020 at 09:03 AM.

NRS is expensive. Real issue is the glue- usually 8oz or larger and shipping is expensive or not available (problems shipping flammables?).

IF you have the glue, then go onto Amazon and search for "D Rings glue on"- you can get 6 or so for $12.

If you will put any stress on the rings (simple pulling), most of the hardware store type glues will fail. StaBond glue is what the major raft companies use. HH-66 is similar and sells for around $17 for 8 oz on Amazon.

Watermaster rafts used to sell 2oz of StaBond for around $8.00. They recommended 1 oz per D ring on a raft)- you might be able to use less on a pack. I have glued on 4 d rings and 2 Scotty Rod holders onto my Watermaster Kodiak raft and none have failed...including the ones I put on to add a stronger foot brace.

Jim