Thread: Stripping Pyramid

Default Stripping Pyramid

Went yesterday, Monday, to Pyramid. I read the weather reports and got excited to see Saturday and Sunday was quite windy and snowing. My theory is with heavy winds the bottom gets stirred up and kicks up a lot of silt
    and food.

I wanted a mid morning start in the lake so started my trek from Fair Oak at 5:30am. On my way up the hill I saw so many trucks off to the side of the road. I thought they were still sleeping before traversing 80 up the hill. Well come to find out 80 was shut down at Colfax to all traffic heading east. Oh man what was I thinking not to check my Cal Trans freeway site. Soooooo I waited, parked in the town of Colfax for 45 minutes checking FB till they let us continue up the road. I never did see what caused the closure. Not much new snow, maybe some slick ares of road oh maybe it was the winds blowing the snow across the road at a high rate of speed.

I did manage to finally get to the lake. Only three of us fishing. One fellow next to me already had five fish to hand. I felt like my theory of lake mixture from the high winds was playing out. The weather was sunny with very light winds and hardly any chop. I used my sink tip line with a beetle and midnight cowboy. I got three on the beetle and one on the cowboy. Toward the end of the day the wind completely died. I didnÂ’t know what works with no wind and chop so I went with a midge tip floating line with a Denny Richards black AP and a black midge. I stripped in very slowly trying something new. I thought maybe going small and slowly stripping might work in these glass conditions. Well happy to say it worked. I was quite proud to hook a fish on a midge stripping . My friend caught 8 and I got 5 on a day after some bad weather on the lake. The car drive back to Fair Oaks went by quickly. I celebrated with 5 tasty Jimboy tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    Went yesterday, Monday, to Pyramid. I read the weather reports and got excited to see Saturday and Sunday was quite windy and snowing. My theory is with heavy winds the bottom gets stirred up and kicks up a lot of silt
    and food.

I wanted a mid morning start in the lake so started my trek from Fair Oak at 5:30am. On my way up the hill I saw so many trucks off to the side of the road. I thought they were still sleeping before traversing 80 up the hill. Well come to find out 80 was shut down at Colfax to all traffic heading east. Oh man what was I thinking not to check my Cal Trans freeway site. Soooooo I waited, parked in the town of Colfax for 45 minutes checking FB till they let us continue up the road. I never did see what caused the closure. Not much new snow, maybe some slick ares of road oh maybe it was the winds blowing the snow across the road at a high rate of speed.

I did manage to finally get to the lake. Only three of us fishing. One fellow next to me already had five fish to hand. I felt like my theory of lake mixture from the high winds was playing out. The weather was sunny with very light winds and hardly any chop. I used my sink tip line with a beetle and midnight cowboy. I got three on the beetle and one on the cowboy. Toward the end of the day the wind completely died. I didnÂ’t know what works with no wind and chop so I went with a midge tip floating line with a Denny Richards black AP and a black midge. I stripped in very slowly trying something new. I thought maybe going small and slowly stripping might work in these glass conditions. Well happy to say it worked. I was quite proud to hook a fish on a midge stripping . My friend caught 8 and I got 5 on a day after some bad weather on the lake. The car drive back to Fair Oaks went by quickly. I celebrated with 5 tasty Jimboy tacos.
    Way to go Bill !!!!!!

So you tried using the "floater no 'cator" method and stuck a fish.

Good job, good job, good job, good job !!!!!!!!!

As always, thank you for your report.......................... and I hope you left some fish for me !!!!

Jimboy tacos for the closer works well too !!!!

Bob

Good luck tomorrow Bob. I may try the Delta. I heard some good reports. I also heard Davis Lake is ice free now. I look forward to your report.Please say hello to Carmen, Jim and Tom from Oregon.

Sounds like a good trip to pyramid!
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Always a good outing when it’s Pyramid. Numbers or not I love the whole feel of the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    Always a good outing when it’s Pyramid. Numbers or not I love the whole feel of the lake.
    Yep, the place is magic. I want to go this Sunday but I am not sure how bad the snow will be over the pass from Sacramento to Reno.

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    Yep, the place is magic. I want to go this Sunday but I am not sure how bad the snow will be over the pass from Sacramento to Reno.
    Bad weather = good fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Bad weather = good fishing?
    Sometimes, I’ve been to pyramid at times when the wind totally killed the bite and the water became too murky. Who knows tho?

Peter V