Thread: Changes on the Feather

Default Changes on the Feather

First post here, so an introduction is in order. I grew up in Paradise, CA, and spent most of my fishing time between the West Branch, Lake Oroville, and the low flow section of the Feather.

I bought my first fly reel at Kiene’s 20 years ago!

I live in Oregon on the beautiful N Umpqua River, but have been really wanting to go back home and fish the low flow section this Spring for adults and half-pounders with a trout Spey.

I would visit family and friends in Paradise often, but haven’t had worked in a fishing trip on the Feather in over 8 years. I was looking at Google maps and my usual walk and wade spots look different. I’m curious how much of that was from the big water release 3 years ago. And curious how that affected the returns of steelhead. Also, is the river safe to float these days, either in my drift boat or pontoon? And what should I watch for weather and reservoir wise to predict getting blown out?

Thanks for any info on any of my many questions! Have a great day!

The Feather is total different. No more Shit House or Mathews Riffle. they are gone. Other riffles have pop up. Most of these changes happened after the spill way crisis.

Drifting is still safe - lots of frog water. Only bad spot is Steep Riffle. Expert oarsmen can get throw it - but I always walk my boat through just in case. It is a shallow - fast moving water that has a huge tree spanning the channel with log debris in the middle of the channel.

Fishing hasn't really been effected. The steelhead are there.

The Feather Low Flow section is 800cfs. It takes lots of rain to blow it out.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gray View Post
    The Feather is total different. No more Shit House or Mathews Riffle. they are gone. Other riffles have pop up. Most of these changes happened after the spill way crisis.

Drifting is still safe - lots of frog water. Only bad spot is Steep Riffle. Expert oarsmen can get throw it - but I always walk my boat through just in case. It is a shallow - fast moving water that has a huge tree spanning the channel with log debris in the middle of the channel.

Fishing hasn't really been effected. The steelhead are there.

The Feather Low Flow section is 800cfs. It takes lots of rain to blow it out.
    Yeah, I’m sure many of my old usual spots aren’t fishable or accessible anymore. Good to hear that the fish weren’t greatly affected as a whole.

Back when I was fishing the Feather I wasn’t into two handed rods yet. Size 12-14 bead head nymphs were the usual. I loved a dark brown birds nest in size 12. Any recommendations for swinging flies? Probably not as large as the flies we use here on the N Umpqua.

I like to use small sculpin patterns. Olive has been working for me.

Slump Busters, Dirty Birds. Water is gin clear. If you tie your own, use very little flash. Good luck.

Agree that small and sparse is the way to go down there