Thread: Yuba report 2/27

Default Yuba report 2/27

First off, it felt like April or May out there today. It was almost 80 degrees. Man, the river is low @975 cfs and gin clear, and I mean clear. Personally, I'd rather have about 350 more cfs and some color. It was nice and steelhead green only 3 weeks ago. To me ,this is primetime for the Yuba River. Today it showed with Skwala's hatching, a big PMD hatch and some March Brown's beginning to show. The hatches began at about 10:00 and went on intermittently until about 5 pm.

With the low, gin clear water, you need to have your "A" game going. I mean the fish see you as well as every false cast and cast from 60 feet away. There is not much to hide you right now. For me, this meant a lot of long drifts to where the fish couldn't see me. Problem is when your fly is that far away, and you get that lightning quick strike . . . hmmmmm, a little tough to hook up. Especially after 30 years of Hefeweizen training to slow down the reaction time a wee bit. If your day is predicated on numbers only, stay home. If you are up for the challenge, and a little heartbreak, you are in luck.

There were a LOT of rising fish today. I bet I whiffed on 20 eats . . . it's jut so far out to your fly in these conditions. I had a couple of break offs from big fish and landed several fish today. It's nice to see big fish taking dries again. I saw one fish go aerial that had to be over 20" . . . I'd guess 22".

Winning flies for me were a PMD Emerger, Bullethead Skwala ( be sure to have a couple of these) on top and a Green Rubberlegs and Micro May underwater. This is the best Skwala hatch I have seen in 4 (?) years.

Thanks for the report. It’s nice to see and hear that the Yuba is kicking out some decent fish again.

Spot on Yubaman, it's been good for those putting in the time.

If you ever see a blue adipose rolling down the river and a red bearded viking at the helm, dont hesitate to say hey.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

The lower Yuba river trout and steelhead fishery was discovered one day in February in 1977 by Joe Patterson (Cortland Line Rep) and his partner in crime, Wally Westlake (Pro baseball player).

This was the famous huge drought of the late 1970s so it was a rare occasion to see the Yuba that low in the winter or spring.

They had several big days of dry fly fishing and then reported it to us at The Fly Hutch in Sacramento.

This started it all off as many of us were exposed to this great fishery.

Joe Patterson told us before that drought they lower Yuba river was always too high to fishing in the winter and spring.

Back they Al Perryman and friends caught some nice Steelhead on big dry flies.

CA Fish & Game biologist Ed Letrell had great fishing with very large Yellow Humpys for Steelhead.

Mike Ziem and I went up there quit a bit in that low water Spring.

Before Any Guibord became a Striper Bum he spent a decade (1990?) learning the lower Yuba river fishery.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    The lower Yuba river trout and steelhead fishery was discovered one day in February in 1977 by Joe Patterson (Cortland Line Rep) and his partner in crime, Wally Westlake (Pro baseball player).
    Bill, the Yuba was being fly fished on a regular basis in the 60's. My dad took us up there as kids. In high school (early 70s) we would hike in and camp/fish below the Foundation Hole. I don't think Joe "discovered" the Yuba as much as he popularized it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Bill, the Yuba was being fly fished on a regular basis in the 60's. My dad took us up there as kids. In high school (early 70s) we would hike in and camp/fish below the Foundation Hole. I don't think Joe "discovered" the Yuba as much as he popularized it.
    Yep, Ralph, I was doing the exact same thing on the Yuba in the early 1970's! Rarely, if ever, did you see another soul up there (not like today!). We probably saw each other a lot way back then, but I doubt that nowadays we look anything like we did then! IMNSHO, Many of us feel that Joe "destroyed" the Yuba by popularizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by WLREDBAND View Post
    Yep, Ralph, I was doing the exact same thing on the Yuba in the early 1970's! Rarely, if ever, did you see another soul up there (not like today!). We probably saw each other a lot way back then, but I doubt that nowadays we look anything like we did then! IMNSHO, Many of us feel that Joe "destroyed" the Yuba by popularizing it.
    40 years and 30 pounds later, I wouldn't recognize myself if I ran into him. Joe discovered fly fishing on the Lower Yuba like Columbus discovered America. Can't blame just him, Mike Fong (a very good man and friend) and Hal probably pulled the plug equally as much as Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by WLREDBAND View Post
    IMNSHO, Many of us feel that Joe "destroyed" the Yuba by popularizing it.
    Maybe this is the borderline millennial in me, but with the overall changes to California since the 1960's, it's not like it was going to go undiscovered and unadvertised until today. If it wasn't Joe (who I know nothing of, for the record), it would have been someone else.

The Yuba is a wonderful and tremendously accessible fishery for introducing people to the sport and we should be in some ways grateful for its popularity. If every single "secret" fly fishing spot in CA remained a secret until the present day, the sport might very well be almost dead in California rather than flourishing. There are still plenty of closely guarded secrets, as many as 60 years ago, no...but I don't think we can say that of anywhere in the L48...

I guess my point is, two sides to every coin...and what we can do is take the good with the challenges...

Ralph is correct but I think it was a very well kept secret until Joe and Wally told us about it.

We are very lucky to have this beautiful stream and we have to thank the folks who got the good regulations on it.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Just to the left of the Yuba River Drifters gate are the crumbled remnants of the Timbuctoo Wells Fargo Office. I was watching a video from the 60's on You Tube about fly fishing for shad on the Yuba. The two guys fishing in the video drove up from San Francisco in a motorhome. Part of the video shows them driving right by that Wells Fargo building back then , and it is still standing! It looks like they were driving on Timbuctoo Road to access the river back then. Interesting footage to see from "back in the day".