Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Show

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Murakoshi View Post
    I remember the Moscone show well. You had to let the union people take you stuff in and even set up your booth. You couldn't touch a thing.
    Oh man, do I remember! We couldn't open our booth until some union goon plugged in our own extension cord. Of course the same goon was plugging in everyone else's booth too. I'm certain a few bucks were palmed to get lights turned on early. San Mateo was a needed move. Pleasanton was never the same.
    Last edited by Ralph; 02-29-2020 at 01:17 PM.

I was at the show all three days and also thought it was really good. For what its worth, my observations are:

1) Good crowds on Friday and Saturday. I arrived 15 minutes after opening on Friday and was surprised by how busy it was already. Sunday was pretty light, it always is. Overall, I hope this bodes well for shows in the future. I remember 2009/10 when it was nearly a ghost town at the show, presume because of the bad shape of the economy.

2) Some great presentations, these are the best part of the show as far as I'm concerned. I attended nearly a dozen over the three days. I tend to go to those on general FF strategies and those focused on local/ California waters vs. the Mongolia/Patagonia/Iceland stuff. My attitude is that there is so much local water I haven't fished yet that's my priority. Liked Lance's presentation on the Hex hatch at Almanor, has my fired up to make the trip there in June. Jon Baiocchi's presentations on the Yuba River and Creekin' were also really good. Nate Brumley wasn't there this year, really enjoyed his presentations on dry fly techniques last year.

3) Always enjoy the tiers. Picked up some great tips from some of them, and enjoy dropping in to Steve Potter to see his latest amazing deer hair creations. Also liked some of the casting demo's although it was very hard to hear the caster at the indoor pool.

4) Was a little disappointed at the exhibitors, especially that there was relatively little fly tying materials to be had. I spent some money at the Keough and loved picking through their feathers. Wish there was more of that kind of thing, I guess there just isn't enough money in it for the sellers/exhibitors.

5) My only gripe is the cost of some of the things there is a little ridiculous, if you ask me. $10 to park, $13 for a beer? Was this a Giants game in SF or what??

Great show overall, really enjoyed it. Look forward to it every year.

Tom