Thread: Fenwick fiberglass 9' #8 and 9' #9 weight fly rod blanks FS

Default Fenwick fiberglass 9' #8 and 9' #9 weight fly rod blanks FS

These came from the shop of a friend who's passed on.

Two 9’0” 2/1 factory Fenwick brown glass blanks with Feralite tip over but ferrules. Labeled BLANK in white with the Fenwick eagle logo on the butt sections. Both as new and 2 piece. I believe the white label can be removed with alcohol or acetone.

• 9' #8 weight blank equivalent to the FF908. Probably 1980s. A paper label at the butt reads 108-8.
    $60 plus USPS shipping.

• 9' #9 weight blank equivalent to the FF909. Probably 1980s. A paper label at the butt reading 108-9.
    $50 plus USPS shipping.

Until graphite took over, Fenwick glass rods in 8, 9 and 10 weights were a mainstay of West Coast steelhead, shad, salmon and striper anglers. They were inexpensive and durable and are fine casting tools.

Both for $95 plus shipping.

And while I'm at it, there are also:

Two mystery graphite 2 piece blanks. Both workable medium to heavy line models, probably from the 80s.

• 9 ft 2 pc smooth sanded black graphite blank with oversleeve female ferrule. I have no idea who rolled it.
    Medium slow. I’m guessing 7 weight. Blank diameter at butt is 0.400” and at tip is 0.90” (6.0 tip top)
    $12 plus the cost of shipping it.

• 8 1/2 ft 2 pc smooth sanded black graphite blank with tip over butt ferrule. I have no idea who rolled it. Medium-ish.
    I’m guessing 10 or 11 weight. Blank diameter at butt is 0.550” and at tip is 0.97” (6.5 tip top)
    $12 plus the cost of shipping

Both for $20 plus shipping.

PM me if you're interested.
    Larry

Those 9' 2 pc fiberglass Fenwick fly rods were the 'big dogs' in the 1960s and 1970s.

More big fish were caught on them than all the other fly rods combined.

They will seem a little heavy and slow today but a so smooth casting.

Most of those actions were designed by Jimmy Green and with the help of a lot of good West Coast fly casters.

The Greatest Generation used them a lot and later us Baby Boomers used them until Graphite came along.

The blanks were labeled 108-8 which was 108 inches and #8 line.

For Alaska fly fishing "Commando" guides Craig Ziegler and Mike McCune choose the Fenwick fiberglass 102-7 two piece blank to make many custom fly rods for their "go to" sticks. They loved the smoothness of the 8'6" #7 line blank for big Rainbow trout back in the 1970s.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Please check PM. Thanks!

PM sent 3/8