Thread: Epic post on Dan Blanton's message board - coastal Steelhead

Default Epic post on Dan Blanton's message board - coastal Steelhead

If you can hook even one fresh run wild Steelhead close to the ocean and fight it even for a few minutes it could change you life.

Coastal Steelhead
    [Bulletin Board]
    Posted by Bob McCollum on 2020-02-19 15:02:24

I fished a north coast river for two days recently just a few miles from the mouth. I was fortunate to hit nearly perfect conditions. The river had swollen and darkened from rain storms the week before. By the time I arrived, the water levels had dropped and the color had lightened to ideal “green” or “emerald” water.

I hooked five adult steelhead (three solidly hooked and fought) and landed two nice fish. I also caught six “half-pounders” (a nice distraction). These were hot fish fresh from the ocean. All hell broke loose as soon as I set the hook and the fish exploded from the water. They jumped and tail danced several times before they could be brought under control and eventually landed.

I grew up camping in the redwoods in the summer and fishing for small trout smolt with spinning gear on Super Dupers. Been a long-held dream of mine to fish for adult coastal steelhead in the winter. I've caught steelhead on the Trinity for more than a decade. The coastal fish are different. It was an incredible experience and a rare privilege to hook, fight, and land these fish. Can’t wait for a chance to catch those big shiny fishes again!

Tight lines!
    [click here to display pictures]

Take a look at the pictures on Dan's BB:

http://www.danblanton.com/viewmessage.php?id=214560
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

That’s the stuff of dreams right there... and the addiction deepens!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

YUP... last Sat/Sun, my friend 'went coastal' and between he and his friend landed 18 shiny steelhead between 8 and 12#.

It wasn't the river Bob fished but a very similar wild fishery not too far from there.

I couldn't go unfortunately but there will be another opportunity before it's over...
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 02-20-2020 at 01:20 AM.

40+ years ago I worked in a good bait-n-tackle shop in West Sacramento, West Capitol Rod & Gun.

A Top local fly fisher, Sacramento City Fire Fighter and WWII US Marine Vet Jack McLaughlin was a friend of the owner, Harry Boley.

Jack was mentoring me in my quest for fly fishing for Steelhead by taking me out on the lower American river.

He also taught me how to tie Steelhead and Shad flies at the bait shop when we were slow at times.

Jack told me that if I would go to the coastal rivers in the winter and hook just one 10# wild female Steelhead

close to the salt water that it would change me forever.......

I was very lucky to be in the fishing tackle business my entire adult life and to be mentored by dozen of good men from the Greatest

Generation. They were all born in the 1920s and were able to hunt and fish before and after World War II. I called these men

"Outdoorsmen" which is my ultimate compliment. Today we still have a few younger "Outdoorsmen" who I have great respect for.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........