If you can hook even one fresh run wild Steelhead close to the ocean and fight it even for a few minutes it could change you life.

Coastal Steelhead
[Bulletin Board]
Posted by Bob McCollum on 2020-02-19 15:02:24

I fished a north coast river for two days recently just a few miles from the mouth. I was fortunate to hit nearly perfect conditions. The river had swollen and darkened from rain storms the week before. By the time I arrived, the water levels had dropped and the color had lightened to ideal “green” or “emerald” water.

I hooked five adult steelhead (three solidly hooked and fought) and landed two nice fish. I also caught six “half-pounders” (a nice distraction). These were hot fish fresh from the ocean. All hell broke loose as soon as I set the hook and the fish exploded from the water. They jumped and tail danced several times before they could be brought under control and eventually landed.

I grew up camping in the redwoods in the summer and fishing for small trout smolt with spinning gear on Super Dupers. Been a long-held dream of mine to fish for adult coastal steelhead in the winter. I've caught steelhead on the Trinity for more than a decade. The coastal fish are different. It was an incredible experience and a rare privilege to hook, fight, and land these fish. Can’t wait for a chance to catch those big shiny fishes again!

Tight lines!
[click here to display pictures]

Take a look at the pictures on Dan's BB:

http://www.danblanton.com/viewmessage.php?id=214560