Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pyramid Report 2/12/2020

Thanks very much Bob, that helps a lot. I can see overlining being helpful in the wind at pyramid

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Thanks very much Bob, that helps a lot. I can see overlining being helpful in the wind at pyramid
    Now you're cooking with gas !!!!!!

I trust that you'll have some sort of "phone tethering device" on your next Pyramid trip ???

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Mr T,

Yep, I always enjoy my Pyramid trips............ ....................even if it's a brutal skunkin'.

After "bustin' a gut" with the "Santa Bomb" thing earlier this week, I couldn't believe I was fishing within 60-70 feet of "Santa Claus" yesterday.

Geez, I was even scanning the beach looking for his big red bag filled with fish and cans of soup !!!!

Are you and Jake EVER going to make it up here.............................. this year ???

Bob
    Great question! I dunno yet. Seems too warm there!

Bob -

That was not me in the Santa suit but you might want to talk to that guy. If he is legit you want to make sure he knows exactly who is supposed to be getting the bag of fish. The last thing you want is to show up one day and find your pal Carmen out on his ladder tearing into YOUR bag of fish. He is your buddy so it would not be all bad and he might let you have a couple fish and give you a look at the Santa Bomb.
    Last edited by John H; 02-13-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Jcolin,

Here you go !!!!!!!
    I copied and pasted this from my 1/29/2020 Pyramid Report.

"My Gear..........

I've got three rods that use at the lake.

For stripping sinking lines, I use a single hand 10' 8wt. rod I built many years ago (All-Star Blank) which was very close to a Dan Craft fast action blank of that era.

My sinking fly line is a Rio Outbound Short WF8I/S6 and I use a stripping basket with it.
    Believe it or not, I'm able to cast my sinking line further with a double haul, using this single hand rod, than I can with a two-hander.

For my first floating rig I have a 7wt. Redington Dually (older version) 7113-4 Switch Rod.
    My floating line is a Wulff Ambush @ 550 grains.
    Yep, my rod may be a bit overlined, but it matches MY casting stroke, can punch into a moderate head wind, and rips two tungsten bead head flies with a large indicator a long way.............. if needed.

My second floating rig is a Cabelas Vector 6wt. 1106-4 Switch Rod.
    I use a Scientific Anglers Adapt Switch Line @ 440 grains (now discontinued).
    This rig feels nice and light in hand, but lacks the "authority" to cast into a moderate head wind like my 7wt. does..............of course.

Late Edit: I do not overhead cast either of my floating rigs. I use a single spey/roll cast".

So, in essence, my floating lines are a "scandoid" type and they do serve me well at Pyramid.
    I don't use any tips, I use a 2-4 foot 40lb amnesia leader butt and ~13 feet of 15lb flurocarbon as my leader.
    That 13 foot length is about the maximum length that "I can cast" and still get good turn-over.
    And be forewarned that the Wulff Ambush line has a DEFINITE memory/coiling problem in the head portion if you're considering that line.

Hope this helps you a little bit !!!!

Bob
    Hi Bob, do you always use 15lb test tippet?
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    Hi Bob, do you always use 15lb test tippet?
    Hi Pvillar,

I just retrieved my spool so I could get the correct name spelling and noticed that it is rated @ 12lb. oops, my mistake -----not that there's that much difference between 12lb and 15lb.

I use Seaguar InvizX (the yellow label) 12lb 200 yard spool, .011 diameter 100% fluorocarbon fishing line.

At the time I was researching tippet for Pyramid, I read somewhere that this was the "best" and gave it a try.
    I'm happy with it and have used it for a couple of years now.
    It's very strong and have had zero problems with it.

So, yep, this what I always use at Pyramid for my 'cator or stripping rigs.

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 02-13-2020 at 04:14 PM.