Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amerian River Crime

Default Amerian River Crime

A recent post lamented about the current level of crime on the AR Parkway. Though I, as a local fisherman, spend a considerable amount of time on the AR and generally only observe evidence of vehicle breakins (broken glass in parking areas) the claim that there were robberies at gunpoint and rapes etc was news to me. I therefore logged on to the Sacramento County Parks & Recreation Dept web site and had a look at the crime statistics for 2019. You can click here and see for yourself what types of crime occured in that year. https://regionalparks.saccounty.net/...vity-Data.aspx. After logging on scroll down to "Crime Reports" so you can see the types of crime that were reported for that particular month. It's always best to research the facts before drawing conclusions.

Whenever one is on the parkway, one needs to take the normal prudent precautions to avoid being a victim just as you would in any urban area:

1. Always park in open areas where there is good view by both yourself and others of your vehicle. Don't park under bridges or among foliage.

2. Do not leave any possessions in your vehicle (even empty rod tubes) whether they are valuable or not. An old ratty coat can attract the interest of a homeless individual.

3. Fish with a friend particularly if you are going to be in the park after sundown.
    Last edited by Greg Vinci; 02-12-2020 at 09:51 PM.

All good advise Greg. Thanks for passing on the good information.

Been fishing the American for about 12 or so years now and have never been broken into. But then I don't leave anything visible in my car.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Interesting read Greg, but a question or two come to mind. I noticed on one of the parks pages that to report on-line the link went to the Sheriffs Office. Which made me wonder, in the case of violent crime, would the park rangers really have the investigative tools at their disposal or would the case be handed off to the nearest City, County or state agency with the tools to get it done?

Maybe one of the LEO's here can answer that one and if it does get handed off, which agency would add it to their collective stats?

Never mind, to many variables, to much time away from the fish.

Dave,
    In the same "General Fly Fishing" section, scroll down to find
    Lance's thread "vehicle break ins at Sunrise area."
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Default SO

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E. View Post
    Interesting read Greg, but a question or two come to mind. I noticed on one of the parks pages that to report on-line the link went to the Sheriffs Office. Which made me wonder, in the case of violent crime, would the park rangers really have the investigative tools at their disposal or would the case be handed off to the nearest City, County or state agency with the tools to get it done?

Maybe one of the LEO's here can answer that one and if it does get handed off, which agency would add it to their collective stats?

Never mind, to many variables, to much time away from the fish.
    At Butte County we handled all the violent crimes that came from the parks and recs unless they where in city limits. Greg has not gone to see the city and county sites. They have a list of all the reported felony cases. They are in the public log.

The parks and rec rangers in Greg's words when he got a ticket a couple of years ago is a "joke". The parks and recs rangers are rangers. Not deputies or city police. These rangers are not sworn personal.

I stand by what I am doing. I am not guiding or doing any of our original LGC's tours on the river. The risk is not worth the fishing. I would like for you folks to do your own research and look for yourselfs. Greg has proven my point. It is unsafe to even fish late into the evening and by yourself. Please use caution folks. I will only guide and do our tours in safe areas. Not questionable or semi safe. But in safe areas. Thanks folks 👍. Have a great weekend and be safe!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Another crime on the AR is all those fishing to and targeting spawning steelhead then posting pics on social media and being proud of it. Pics of the new side channel with steelhead, pics of fish from the tailout at the sailor bar chute as well as sunrise fish too. When will ppl learn not to target or fish to spawning steelhead on the American. Lots of places to fish on the AR where you will not be fishing over or to spawning steelhead. It sickens me to see it and one of the main reasons I try not to fish or guide in the early months of the year.

Think it's time to purpose a longer closure on all the rivers that have a Jan 1 opener. The American especially. Salmon are still spawning, guys deliberately walking all over the redds to try and get a steelhead. Crush eggs while they walk. One bad egg spools the bunch, just like an apple. It's the same on the Feather as well. Would love to see the Feather become a Feb 1 opener and the American a March 1 opener and the Moke too, that was horrible watching and seeing everyone walking over every single salmon redd in that river. At least then the eggs would have time to hatch and a good majority of the steelhead can spawn in piece without getting raped off their redds several times a day.

Would even love to see the closure on the Yuba go to Jan 1 as there are still spawning salmon above the bridge and again, it will give more time for those eggs to hatch.

I thinks its time to start working on that.
    Last edited by Brian Clemens; 02-15-2020 at 10:17 AM.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Clemens View Post
    Another crime on the AR is all those fishing to and targeting spawning steelhead then posting pics on social media and being proud of it. Pics of the new side channel with steelhead, pics of fish from the tailout at the sailor bar chute as well as sunrise fish too. When will ppl learn not to target or fish to spawning steelhead on the American. Lots of places to fish on the AR where you will not be fishing over or to spawning steelhead. It sickens me to see it and one of the main reasons I try not to fish or guide in the early months of the year.

Think it's time to purpose a longer closure on all the rivers that have a Jan 1 opener. The American especially. Salmon are still spawning, guys deliberately walking all over the redds to try and get a steelhead. Crush eggs while they walk. One bad egg spools the bunch, just like an apple. It's the salmon on the Feather as well. Would love to see the Feather become a Feb 1 opener and the American a March 1 opener and the Moke to, that was horrible watching and seeing everyone walking over every single salmon redd in that river. At least then the eggs would have time to hatch and a good majority of the steelhead can spawn in piece without getting raped off their redds several times a day.

Would even love to see the closure on the Yuba go to Jan 1 as there are still spawning salmon above the bridge and again, it will give more time for those eggs to hatch.

I thinks its time to start working on that.
    I with you Brian!!! You are so right.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

I second both of you!!! We need to protect the fish and rivers!!

Cheers!!
    Lincoln Gray
    LG'S Fly Fishing Adventures
    530-520-6895
    http://lgflyfishingadventures.com

Well said Brian.
    I'm still trying to remember which of the Gray brothers is the best looking.
    A hearty Hi-Ho to you both.
    Larry S
    Sun Diego