Thread: Want to take my 8 year old son fishing at Rollins Reservoir

Default Want to take my 8 year old son fishing at Rollins Reservoir

Hi,
    I want to get my kid sight fishing for breams/crappie/small bass. We bait fish a fair bit for trout in Donner Lake but he thinks its boring. We went to Martis and he caught a mess of sunfish on flies, but all were tiny. I'm guessing those back bays in Rollins might have some fun/easy sight fishing. Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?
    Looking for time of year and any other suggestions you might have.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by John Sv; 02-12-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Whhops I was going for the panfish forum not the trout in still waters forum. Please forgive me!

Do you have a boat? Crappie at Clear Lake is almost a guarantee, but a boat helps a lot. There are fishing docks available, see the State Park, Library Park, Indian Beach. Only a few shore locations. Mid-March to mid-May or later. Docks are often swarmed by spincasters; tough for a novice fly tosser. Salt Springs reservoir, just north of Copperopolis, has some easy bluegill, crappie, bass and shore fishing or wading is easy. The delta; Franks tract.. Try a search for bluegill on this forum. Look for water temps in 55-65 for crappie, bass; maybe 62-70 for bluegill. An indicator helps to know where fly is, see the bite. You'll miss a lot of bites without one. many small community ponds have good bluegill populations and easy, grassy casting areas.

Greenhorn campground is where I go at Rollins lake nice camping on waters edge , has a boat ramp and big crappie lots of bass as well I just stay in the cove and fish the edges ... can’t go wrong , hope this helps.....Jake
    Black woolybugger or wiggle tail is all I use peacock also

Most low elevation reservoirs are good for bass and panfish in the shallows in the spring......March/April/May.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks fellas! Will give greenhorn a shake!