Here is a response about Searun Cutts that I just received from veteran north coast fly fishing Bruce Slightom:

Bruce Slightom
8:06 AM (37 minutes ago)
to me

Bill southern range is the Eel, I have not heard or seen one in the Eel for a long time.

Stone Lagoon holds the state record for Cutts and has a good population.

The Smith has the most consistent fishery.

We are seeing more each year in the Klamath and I get excited when encountering one. I believe that people are hooking them and do not know what they are and just think that they are half pounders. I have talked to biologist regarding them in the Klamath and it is though that some use the big river like others use the ocean and migrate out of the feeder streams into the main river and then back into the feeders.

I have seen a few in the Trinity.

Almost all of the small streams on the coast north of the Eel have cutts. As well as the lagoons.

I was working with the Humboldt Fish Action Council on Freshwater Creek raising Chinook. The rearing ponds were on a feeder stream. I enjoyed feeding the cutts the fry that died. One day there were no morts so I pitched a banana slug into the pool to see what happened and it was devoured in seconds.

Bill, at one time every spring I would pursue them on the Smith. Head waters and tribs. I am getting to old for the commando fishing now. I still fish Stone lagoon for them now. Bruce

Thanks Bruce