Thread: Bright Sunny Weather and Winter Steelhead

Default Bright Sunny Weather and Winter Steelhead

I know this is a very subjective topic, but wondering how you guys have done with bright sunny conditions (over a few weeks, not just sporadic days in between rain) and winter steelhead. Personally, this fall on the Klamath river was the first time I've swung up steelhead on bright days, but those fish seem to be very different than the winter coastal fish.

When I worked a season in southeast Alaska a few years ago where it rains most days, we had a dry spell during Coho salmon season when the fish simply just turned off completely, they just wouldn't hit a fly no matter what.

The past week on the Russian river I've had a few sessions where there were adult fish rolling, and no luck despite them definitely seeing my fly. I've been doing this long enough to know that many, maybe most, winter steelhead will refuse a fly, and that you have to find that one right fish that is a biter, but fishing has been lousy for the gear guys too, and I am starting to wonder the extent of the effect of the warm weather we’ve been having.

Theoretically on a sunny day in clear water we are supposed to use small light colored flies.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have always had the best luck in clear water with a tiny Black boss or Gold comet- heave it and leave it

Carl

Heave it or leave it i like that. Waters not really clear yet, river looks green and great at a little under 700. But on its way to being low and clear for sure unless we get some rain...just seems like in the sunlight theyre not at all grabby...have heard bright flies bright days before, but wondering how many fish are caught in these conditions? Dry spells with a super slow drop and day after day of no clouds in the sky. Today was nice and overcast in guerneville but had to work of course. I know its 99% just a matter of having a fly in the water as much as possible, but what i saw with salmon in AK has me wondering as the winter runs are so salmon like, in how they dont feed in rivers etc