Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shortened Salmon Season

Default Shortened Salmon Season

The official word is out: California will have a very short chinook salmon season this year.

Because of historically low numbers of adult chinook salmon in the ocean — a lingering effect of the drought — West Coast fishery managers decided to severely restrict the upcoming California commercial salmon season. The decision was announced Tuesday at a meeting of the Pacific Fishery Management Council in Sacramento.

It will begin in May and June in the area from Pigeon Point in San Mateo County south to the Mexico border. Later in the summer, the area that includes San Francisco Bay, between Pigeon Point and Point Arena in Mendocino County, will be open for most of August and September, with a smaller section of the coast also open for part of October.

Farther north, the coastline between Point Arena and Horse Mountain (Humboldt County) will be open only in September, with a 3,000-fish quota, and areas farther north will be closed altogether.

The California recreational salmon fishery south of Eureka opened on schedule April 1, but certain areas will also close for part of the season until it ends in October.

Areas north of Horse Mountain and parts of southern Oregon will be closed this year to protect endangered Klamath River chinook salmon, which are at a record low. Other limits to the season protect endangered winter-run chinook from the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta system.

When populations are healthier, chinook salmon are among the most lucrative fisheries in the region, worth $22.7 million in California in 2013.

I wish they would close it down for about 3-5 years....CB

Why Carl?
    Until they curtail and cease the environmental degradation and pollution NOTHING will change. A stick and a string are not the problem.
    ....lee s.

That’s not the notice I got from F&W, it stated that it opens on April 4 from Pigeon Pt south, all other areas will be determined at a later meeting. Where did you see that?

Quote Originally Posted by lee s. View Post
    Why Carl?
    Until they curtail and cease the environmental degradation and pollution NOTHING will change. A stick and a string are not the problem.
    ....lee s.
    Yea Lee your right lets just kill all that's left!

They need to make a punch card system that allows only a certain amount of fish caught per person or per season. No one really knows how much is harvested from the ocean and too many times I’ve heard people on Central Valley rivers catching 40-50 every season and giving them away to people they know. The laws aren’t followed and the guess work for how many are harvested are NEVER accurate. We either need more hatchery fish OR private hatcheries that could do a much better job at raising healthier fish. Unless dams are removed or more water is allotted for the river and not big AG these fish will never repopulate on their own. California politics clearly don’t care for fish and wildlife conservation. This is the reality. If anyone disagrees look at the yuba. No hatchery, cold water, no fishing pressure for the salmon yet the numbers that return there are dismal. I was told that the lower Yuba used to be called “Little Alaska” before permanently closing the take of salmon on that water. Chile and Argentina have no dams on their rivers (soon to be damed on a major river from what I hear) and HATCHERY kings thrive. I would be all for stricter laws for these fish. I still don’t know why coho aren’t raised in the sac, feather, or American. Wouldn’t that help the endangered species populations? Put less pressure on the kings if hatchery coho were allowed for take? So much not done correctly and the wrong people in charge are making the decisions.

Looks like that article is for the Commercial Fleet, not sportfishing.

Im hoping they open it up above Pigeon a couple weeks after the April 3rd like they used to so the pressure comes off the southern part of the fishery.

Hopefully there's some fish to be caught !

The article was not all about commercial fishing it did say:
    "The California recreational salmon fishery south of Eureka opened on schedule April 1, but certain areas will also close for part of the season until it ends in October."

When I click that link all it talks about is the Commercial guys, that's why I commented on it.
    Just tried again and that's what I got!