Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost Coast

We did the Lost Coast (Mattole - Usal) with a group of Scouts in 2015, what a fabulous trip. Virtually every little stream in that stretch had steelhead and coho fry and smolts in them. It was amazing to see that, no matter how we try to screw things up, those populations were hanging on. The spawning area on all of them is no more than a couple of hundred yards long, and in many places much shorter.

I did bring a fly rod for the northern half of the trip, but left it with the friends who resupplied us at Shelter Cove. I got the biggest Barred Surfperch of my life on that trip, but they were few and far between. I wish I hadn’t chosen to leave my rod. At Little Jackass Beach (the first beach north of Usal, and one of my all time favorite campsites) there were huge schools of smelt right in the surf line, being chased by seals and river otters and getting dumped on the beach by every breaker. I’ve always wondered what else might have been chasing them...

It’s a spectacular 65 mile hike. The Sinkyone Wilderness trails are pretty rough in spots, there is a TON of poison oak, and the humidity has got to be 70% up in the redwood forests 1000’ above the ocean, but it’s worth every discomfort.

Wonderful post Wayne....thanks........any photos left from that trip?

What a great adventure for those Scouts.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

That sounds like a great time. Probably 7 or 8 days hiking. I just did the north half. I now am thinking I need to do the whole thing. There is a five mile road gap between the north and south halves. The shuttle operator will meet you and drive you over that and I assume bring your food resupply box. He said walking that road section was not safe - no shoulder and lots curves and traffic.

Great shots. I've spent a lot of time in the Ventana. It is exactly as you say. You have to have a taste for suffering to enjoy it, but it is wild and remote in places.

I've only been to the Lost Coast once, on a trip with a group in May in the early part of the century. Got rained on heavily during the last day and a half, but it had its moments. I've heard the surf fishing can be fun, but I prefer bootfit waders in Norcal surf, which would be kind of a drag to pack.

John,
    We are thinking, if schools are part time this fall, of doing this as a family.

Coupla questions if you don't mind:
    The stuff on the interwebz says you can bring your dog but shouldn't because their pads will get destroyed. Is that your opinion too? ( we have a dog that hikes daily on sierra granite)

Also this trip is not recommend as a kid trip due to the rough terrain and the tide critical zones. Our kid is hikes regularly and is a nordic ski racin’ 4th grader so he is pretty adept. Often times the interwebz descriptions are conservative- do you think the hike is particularly gnarly?
    Thanks in advance

It was not a difficult hike. You do need to plan around the tides. The tide level needs to be below 3.0 to get through the narrow sections so you typically have one six hour window a day to hike. It could be afternoon or morning or in the dark. I had to wait until about noon to hike. The shuttle driver gave me a tide graph with the 3.0 line marked so I could see my window. You can push the 3.0 a little but I would not do that with the family along.

I think a 4th grader is fine.

The shuttle driver talked me out of taking my dog. There were a couple of beach areas that were small boulders that would have been tough but doable for a dog. Otherwise it is coarse sand or gravel or trail above the beach. Almost half the hike is on dirt above the beach. If your dog hikes a lot I think he will be fine.

There are good day hikes into the hills so take you time because there are things to do while you wait for the tide to drop. I hiked four days. I made an effort to stretch it out and not hurry. It is a long drive so slow down and enjoy the place.

Thanks very much John
    Other john
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    It was not a difficult hike. You do need to plan around the tides. The tide level needs to be below 3.0 to get through the narrow sections so you typically have one six hour window a day to hike. It could be afternoon or morning or in the dark. I had to wait until about noon to hike. The shuttle driver gave me a tide graph with the 3.0 line marked so I could see my window. You can push the 3.0 a little but I would not do that with the family along.

I think a 4th grader is fine.

The shuttle driver talked me out of taking my dog. There were a couple of beach areas that were small boulders that would have been tough but doable for a dog. Otherwise it is coarse sand or gravel or trail above the beach. Almost half the hike is on dirt above the beach. If your dog hikes a lot I think he will be fine.

There are good day hikes into the hills so take you time because there are things to do while you wait for the tide to drop. I hiked four days. I made an effort to stretch it out and not hurry. It is a long drive so slow down and enjoy the place.

’ll reply to both Johns. First, the Sinkyone (Shelter Cove to Usal)is the polar opposite of the Northern half. Each night is camping on beaches, but then you immediately climb 800-1000’ into the redwoods. Fabulous views, just utterly different than the sea level Lost Coast section. There are spots where the trail is in pretty rough shape, and Usal Beach has pretty much been abandoned by any authority. Still, we did not have any car break-ins in the week we had them parked there. I’d also go north-south if I had the option.

That said, Little Jackass Beach alone makes the southern half worth the trip, as do many spectacular views from the redwoods.

John SV, I wouldn’t”t hesitate to take a fit, moderately experienced 4th grader on the northern half. There is really only one spot where the tides are a real concern, and it’s probably less than 100’ long, but it”s absolutely impassable at anything but close to dead low tide. I’m thinking of taking my 15 year old on that hike This summer, as he is an avid backcountry hiker but is really susceptible to altitude sickness.

I think John H mentioned Big Pine Flat Campground, which is the first one north of Shelter Cove. Surfers hike their boards in 10 miles to surf the break there, and they have built board racks and waxing tables out of driftwood in several of the campsites. It’s a pretty awesome site.

I’ll try to post some of the photos from our trip. They don’t compare to John H’s shots -very little does - but it is tough to screw them up with a subject like that.

This make me happy and sad because at 75 with a marginal knee I would not attempt these hikes.

Sounds like something that would be a bucket list event for many though.

What are good months for these hikes?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........