Thread: Pyramid Report 2/1/20

Default Pyramid Report 2/1/20

Imitation is the best form of flattery..............................so here I go......... Without Bob, Pyramid would be off my radar!

Bob provided the motivation.......but, having never been there, having no flies or gear........ I called:

Reno Fly Shop....................... and specifically: Mike Anderson........... What a guide!

My wife and I departed Truckee at 6:30............. Coffee in hand at Reno Fly Shop by 7:30. Followed Mike to Pyramid.

Like an Oasis as you crest the desert hills and see this enormous lake!

Switch Rods and indicators are the name of the game today............. My wife can cast! Sunny with a little wind, but not uncomfortable.

Mike is next to me explaining that the bite window is still an hour away.............. we hear "HEY, HEY, HEY!!!

Look up and wife's rod is doubled over! Most everything she catches can be pulled straight in, but not this fish! So letting a fish run takes a little coaching from Mike. But she gets it done................ 10 lb! Unbelievable.

Ended up being #1 of a great day. We ended up going 3 for 6 with 2 missed take downs and one LDR after a couple minutes of battle.

We fished until about 3:45 and then called it a day. No soup on the way home..............

But Burger Me! was a great way to end the day!

Thanks to Bob for all the great reports and a huge thanks to Mike and the Reno Fly shop for an amazing day!

Katz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyramid Chris and Kraig 2.1.20.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	446.0 KB 
ID:	15385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pyramid Kraig 2.1.20.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	15386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PyramidCutt2.1.20.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	452.1 KB 
ID:	15387  
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Imitation is the best form of flattery..............................so here I go......... Without Bob, Pyramid would be off my radar!

Bob provided the motivation.......but, having never been there, having no flies or gear........ I called:

Reno Fly Shop....................... and specifically: Mike Anderson........... What a guide!

My wife and I departed Truckee at 6:30............. Coffee in hand at Reno Fly Shop by 7:30. Followed Mike to Pyramid.

Like an Oasis as you crest the desert hills and see this enormous lake!

Switch Rods and indicators are the name of the game today............. My wife can cast! Sunny with a little wind, but not uncomfortable.

Mike is next to me explaining that the bite window is still an hour away.............. we hear "HEY, HEY, HEY!!!

Look up and wife's rod is doubled over! Most everything she catches can be pulled straight in, but not this fish! So letting a fish run takes a little coaching from Mike. But she gets it done................ 10 lb! Unbelievable.

Ended up being #1 of a great day. We ended up going 3 for 6 with 2 missed take downs and one LDR after a couple minutes of battle.

We fished until about 3:45 and then called it a day. No soup on the way home..............

But Burger Me! was a great way to end the day!

Thanks to Bob for all the great reports and a huge thanks to Mike and the Reno Fly shop for an amazing day!

Katz

Wooooo Hoooooooo !!!!!

Way to flippin' go Katz ...................................... and your wife too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh..........look at the smiles on both of your faces !!!!!!!!!!!!

You absolutely chose the best, warmest day we've had since last fall too !!!!!!!
    It was 74.8 degrees here at home yesterday.

Wow..........................wow.................. .........wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so proud and happy for you and your wife.

Don't you just love that first view of the lake as you drive over the little crest ?????????????? I know I do !!!

And, good choice for teaming up with Mike Anderson for your first Pyramid trip.
    That certainly helped with the learning curve at the lake.

No soup on the way home ???????????????
    You both should have celebrated with a Prime Rib and Lobster dinner...................................

I am soooooo very, very happy for the both of you................Good Job !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the "Pyramid addiction".

It was worth it, wasn't it ?????

Bob

You're not kidding about "Pyramid Addiction"!

Already trying to plan my return!

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Wonderful posts......thanks Bob and Katz...........we are so lucky to have that amazing stillwater fishery so close to Sacramento.

PS: Katz is our doctor in Davis. Super guy.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Good job. My father and I went out yesterday and were fishing in this weather that consisted of 40 mph wind gusts. As you can imagine, we only hooked one fish.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6765ndlol6..._1022.mp4?dl=0
    Last edited by Pvillarr; 02-03-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    Good job. My father and I went out yesterday and were fishing in this weather that consisted of 40 mph wind gusts. As you can imagine, we only hooked one fish.

That had to be one of the most dramatic 24 hr weather changes possible! Crazy! Way to stick with it! Katz
    Last edited by Katz; 02-03-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post

Ahhhh.......man.

Sorry you and your father didn't score big.

Nice video depicting "winter fishing" at Pyramid.
    That looked to be a VERY COLD trip.
    That kind of weather is "suppose to be" what turns the fish on.

Who said "the fishing is best when the weather is the worst" at Pyramid ???

Thank you for the report Pvillarr.
    I'm sure you'll get 'em next time.

Welcome to the consistently, inconsistent Pyramid Lake............................

Bob

Thanks for sharing Katz, Bob is an excellent teacher and friend of Pyramid Lake.

Thanks Bob. It got to a point where you couldn’t even make an effective cast in the right direction. I am hoping next time will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Ahhhh.......man.

Sorry you and your father didn't score big.

Nice video depicting "winter fishing" at Pyramid.
    That looked to be a VERY COLD trip.
    That kind of weather is "suppose to be" what turns the fish on.

Who said "the fishing is best when the weather is the worst" at Pyramid ???

Thank you for the report Pvillarr.
    I'm sure you'll get 'em next time.

Welcome to the consistently, inconsistent Pyramid Lake............................

Bob