Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Report 1/29/2020

Default Pyramid Report 1/29/2020

On the road @ 7:20...............destination.................... .............. Spider Point.

Nope, not "that southern beach I like to frequent".

Anxious and excited to try out somewhere "new"..................I arrived at Spider @ 8:45.
    I asked a fellow that walked up the hill if he'd done any good and what he was throwing to the fish.
    He kind of grumbled "no fish" and "we're using midges".

Uhhhh Ohhhhhh........................................... .here we go again.

I "suited up" and walked down to the water to fish the east/west shore.
    There were about a dozen and a half people fishing the rocks on the south side of me.

I tried the "Cherry Bomb", an orange version of the "Cherry Bomb", a "Zucchini Midge" and a "Patriot Midge" for two and a half hours and had EXACTLY ZERO strikes/ hits / or takedowns.
    In those two and a half hours, I saw two fish landed (by the people fishing the rocks) and had more than a half dozen fish roll on the surface near and around where I was casting.

So, I said good bye to Mr. Spider at 11:30 and headed south.
    I originally planned to stop at Pelican if the fishing was slow at Spider.
    Not many people fishing the beach at Pelican, so I put the car on Auto Pilot and headed to that "southern beach I like to frequent".

I arrived @ Wino around noon and Pal Carmen was there fishing hard !!!
    Carmen told me he had landed a fish on a "Cherry Bomb" and four of five others on a jig.

Uhhhhhh Ohhhhhhh..............................again.

I waded out in the water and settled in next to Carmen and tossed my rig out and waited for my 'cator to disappear.
    Unfortunately, once again, it NEVER did.
    Not even once.............

Carmen packed it in around 2:00 and I fished till 3:45, frustrated again by being bitten on the azz by Mr. Skunk.

So today was a good day of exploring and fishing, but definitely not "catching", at least not for me.

Don't worry Cutthroats..........................I'll get even............................ some day.

For the ride home tonight.........my small thermos of "Vegetable Beef Soup" with s/p and a couple of dashes of Tabasco.

Dang Cutthroats........................................ ..........

Bob

Did you try a balanced leech at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    Did you try a balanced leech at all?
    Nope, I stuck with midges all day, probably to my detriment.
    The midge(s) seemed to work best last week, so that's what I went with.

This is an honest to goodness question for you Pvillar and not a snarky, "inflated ego", reply by me............that's not my style.

Was that a "curiosity" question, or a "hidden message"........"this is what we've been using and it's been working" response ?????

Also, there was a lot of plant float-some in the water yesterday. More so than I EVER remember seeing during this time of the year, both at Spider and Wino.

Some of the "whole" plant pieces were about a foot long and the broken up pieces looked like small one inch diameter olive green jelly fish globs.

I spent lots of time cleaning junk off my flies.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Nope, I stuck with midges all day, probably to my detriment.
    The midge(s) seemed to work best last week, so that's what I went with.

This is an honest to goodness question for you Pvillar and not a snarky, "inflated ego", reply by me............that's not my style.

Was that a "curiosity" question, or a "hidden message"........"this is what we've been using and it's been working" response ?????

Also, there was a lot of plant float-some in the water yesterday. More so than I EVER remember seeing during this time of the year, both at Spider and Wino.

Some of the "whole" plant pieces were about a foot long and the broken up pieces looked like small one inch diameter olive green jelly fish globs.

I spent lots of time cleaning junk off my flies.

Bob
    Oh, it was an honest question. Considering I have only fished pyramid twice now, I am trying to learn about it as much as possible. I might make it up there on Sunday when everyone is watching the super bowl lol. I am hoping the storm moving in Saturday night will stir up some action.

Bob, how do you feel about fishing nice weather vs a storm?

When our CFFU fly fishing club use to fish it annually maybe 50 years ago we hit a good storm and everyone caught fish.

Back then it was just cast and strip with a 25' lead core heads, standing in old non-breathable waders and humid rain coats.

If I was 50 instead of 75 I would join you.

Headed back to Florida with the other old gray haired angler to fish in 70 degree weather in shorts.

Our annual Expo is April 18, 2020 a Saturday...maybe we can have hand written name tags for Forum member?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    Oh, it was an honest question. Considering I have only fished pyramid twice now, I am trying to learn about it as much as possible. I might make it up there on Sunday when everyone is watching the super bowl lol. I am hoping the storm moving in Saturday night will stir up some action.
    Gotcha' !!!!!!!!!

We're on the same page then !!!!!

I spent many "Super Bowl Sundays" on the Feather River chasing steelhead when we lived in Chico.

If you do make it up and fish Sunday, a Pyramid Report would be appreciated !!!!

Good luck to you........and your Father.

Bob

Thanks. I’ll make sure to report!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Bob, how do you feel about fishing nice weather vs a storm?

When our CFFU fly fishing club use to fish it annually maybe 50 years ago we hit a good storm and everyone caught fish.

Back then it was just cast and strip with a 25' lead core heads, standing in old non-breathable waders and humid rain coats.

If I was 50 instead of 75 I would join you.

Headed back to Florida with the other old gray haired angler to fish in 70 degree weather in shorts.

Our annual Expo is April 18, 2020 a Saturday...maybe we can have hand written name tags for Forum member?
    Alright Bill,

"Nice weather vs a storm?"
    I do believe that the fishing at Pyramid is, for the most part, better during stormy weather...........with exceptions of course.

Since I'm just over the 60 mark now, nicer weather is a little more "appealing" to me.
    I know that I'm probably sacrificing "better fishing" for "more tolerable conditions".

One of those (above) exceptions was last year.

I fished on a sunny, warm, west wind (tail wind) day and had my best day thus far at Pyramid.

My "best day" (14 of 17) wasn't as good, number wise, as some of the "hard core", dedicated "die hards", or guides that regularly fish the lake in storms or otherwise, ............................... but I was stoked !!!!

I wish I could go 14 of 17 every time I go !!!!!!!!!

And, because of family obligations, my choice of days is limited at this point of either a Wednesday or Thursday.
    I try to choose which day I'll make the trip based on weather conditions, wind velocity/direction, temperatures, and mostly.................................. my "need to get away for a day" in order to keep my sanity.

I really think you should consider hitting up Pyramid this spring.
    The weather will be warmer (very tolerable), the fish will be more active, and the "catch rate" will be significantly higher.
    A "guided fishing trip" using a "custom Pyramid ladder" in the spring wouldn't be taxing on your body, your guide could net all the fish you'd hook, take pictures of the "monsters you landed", and keep you from climbing up and down your ladder all day.

It ain't like the old days standing in the water on a milk crate with rubber waders !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think about it Bill and come on up and play !!!!

Enjoy your time in Florida fishing in shorts and flip flops.

We'll all be here keepin' on keepin' on.

Bob

Thanks Bob

What is a good month in the Spring?

Would be good if you went over the gear you use?

Do you and others use ladders?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Thanks Bob

What is a good month in the Spring?

Would be good if you went over the gear you use?

Do you and others use ladders?
    Ummmmm.................O.K. Bill.

Please remember that the following is just MY opinion(s)/advise/findings/what I use and may not parallel what the "Pros" at the lake do.

In the spring, I like the mid-March thru mid-April window.
    Around mid-April a "large majority" of the fish will turn into "zombies"- swimming very close to shore looking for places to spawn and not really interested in eating/feeding.
    I liken the fishing for "zombies" the same as fishing for spawning trout/steelhead/salmon on their redds.
    I just prefer not to and don't do it.

There was a brief period of time last year, just before the lake closed for the season (June 30th), when the fish returned to "normal" and went on the chew.
    From what I'd read, the fishing was "Red Hot".
    From what I understand, the late season "Red Hot" doesn't happen every year though.
    Apparently, if the lake stays cool enough before the June 30th closure, the cutthroats will be on the chew munching on Tui-Chubs.

I missed out on that late season "Red Hot" fishing last year as I was dinking around at my local trout pond(s) with an ultra-light two handed rod that I built..........and had a blast with it.

My Gear..........

I've got three rods that use at the lake.

For stripping sinking lines, I use a single hand 10' 8wt. rod I built many years ago (All-Star Blank) which was very close to a Dan Craft fast action blank of that era.

My sinking fly line is a Rio Outbound Short WF8I/S6 and I use a stripping basket with it.
    Believe it or not, I'm able to cast my sinking line further with a double haul, using this single hand rod, than I can with a two-hander.

For my first floating rig I have a 7wt. Redington Dually (older version) 7113-4 Switch Rod.
    My floating line is a Wulff Ambush @ 550 grains.
    Yep, my rod may be a bit overlined, but it matches MY casting stroke, can punch into a moderate head wind, and rips two tungsten bead head flies with a large indicator a long way.............. if needed.

My second floating rig is a Cabelas Vector 6wt. 1106-4 Switch Rod.
    I use a Scientific Anglers Adapt Switch Line @ 440 grains (now discontinued).
    This rig feels nice and light in hand, but lacks the "authority" to cast into a moderate head wind like my 7wt. does..............of course.

Late Edit: I do not overhead cast either of my floating rigs. I use a single spey/roll cast.

Ladders.......................

Nope, I don't use one.
    Others I fish with do use them though and they're VERY VERY nice to fish from especially when the rollers are hitting the beach.
    I've been nailed in the gnads by rollers more than once while fishing without a ladder in the "surf" and wished that I had one during those times.

Once again, all of the above is just MY opinion(s)/advise/findings/what I use.

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 01-31-2020 at 09:17 AM.