Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pyramid Report 1/29/2020

Thanks for all the detail, Bob! I used to fish Pyramid 10-20 days per year, but haven’t been out there in probably 15 years - not since a couple of years before the Pilot Peak fish started becoming a thing again anyway. Plan to finally start getting out there again this year.

My steelhead single handed is a Dan Craft 10’ 7 wt - you’re the first person I’ve ever heard reference Dan’s blanks. It’s the only fast action rod I’ve ever liked.

Any reason for not using a two handed overhead cast besides just preference? I was thinking of getting one of Bob Meiser’s 909 series rods, which is designed for two handed overhead casting (he first designed the series for musky fishermen throwing 20” flies) as a Pyramid / surf rod.

Also, good to hear you don’t use ladders. I never did either - it seemed to tie people to one spot, and I always liked moving around (ie walking the beaches) there.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    Thanks for all the detail, Bob! I used to fish Pyramid 10-20 days per year, but haven’t been out there in probably 15 years - not since a couple of years before the Pilot Peak fish started becoming a thing again anyway. Plan to finally start getting out there again this year.

My steelhead single handed is a Dan Craft 10’ 7 wt - you’re the first person I’ve ever heard reference Dan’s blanks. It’s the only fast action rod I’ve ever liked.

Any reason for not using a two handed overhead cast besides just preference? I was thinking of getting one of Bob Meiser’s 909 series rods, which is designed for two handed overhead casting (he first designed the series for musky fishermen throwing 20” flies) as a Pyramid / surf rod.

Also, good to hear you don’t use ladders. I never did either - it seemed to tie people to one spot, and I always liked moving around (ie walking the beaches) there.

Wayne
    hwchubb/Wayne,

You're welcome for the details !!
    Great to hear that you're planning on fishing the "Big Lake" again !!

re: Two hand vs Single hand casting.....................

Years ago, before two handed rods became in vogue, I enjoyed shad fishing @ Road 48 on the lower-lower Sac.........."pre-lock out".

SH rods with a type 6 shooting head and Amnesia running line were the "tools" used.
    With all that repetitive casting, I soon found/learned that an "easy casting stroke" with a double haul would yield my best distances with minimal effort.

Since a double haul with "two hands on the cork" isn't possible, I feel a little "awkward" trying to overhead cast without that "double haul".
    Maybe it's "Muscle Memory" ???
    I've tried to TH my Outbound Short a few times and it just never felt "right".

I'm sure I could learn/re-learn to cast a sinking head with two hands and practice.........maybe.

So, when I use my sinking stripping rig, I grab the SH'er without a second thought.
    That's just me............................

And fishing "ladder-less" ??
    A few things.......................
    My car is a little "interior space" challenged and If I used a ladder I'd have to heft it onto the roof rack then tie it down then once arrived at home, repeat the process to store it for the next trip...............O.K.........I'm lazy too.
    And since I "discovered" boot foot waders, my feet stay a lot warmer than when I was using stocking foots with flats booties while wading.
    Since "finding/using" the boot foots, I've lowered my priority of a ladder to fish from several notches.

Maybe we'll bump into each other at the big lake sometime !!!

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 02-02-2020 at 12:03 PM.