Thread: Pit River in Winter

Default Pit River in Winter

Hi all,

Fished the Pit dozens of times in the spring, summer, and fall, but never in the winter. Anyone here have any first hand info on how it fishes this time of year, (when water conditions are good....i.e. not muddy)?

Looks like we've got an upcoming stretch of some very nice weather and we're planning on heading up to give it a go next weekend. I would assume that like most rivers, the fish will be in slower water, but any other info would be greatly appreciated. Will they eat rubberlegs, or is it a small fly deal?

Thanks so much.

~Jeff

Love to get feedback on this. Fished the pit years ago and it dang near killed me and a buddy. Swore it off as a result, then this summer went back and just loved it.

"Pit River In Winter"

Sounds like a film noir for fly fishermen.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

I think The Fly Shop in Redding would have some good info as to what is happening, perhaps even on their stream report, though sometimes they are not updated very often despite the "last updated date" reflecting something recent.

I would not be so sure about the slow water thing, those fish are accustomed to living in fast water and I believe the water temperature on the river is pretty consistent year round.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    I think The Fly Shop in Redding would have some good info as to what is happening, perhaps even on their stream report, though sometimes they are not updated very often despite the "last updated date" reflecting something recent.

I would not be so sure about the slow water thing, those fish are accustomed to living in fast water and I believe the water temperature on the river is pretty consistent year round.
    Yeah, the FlyShop reports are often the same report, new date. So I don't really trust that. But good point on the water temp. And thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

I'll post a report upon our return.

~Jeff

Those fish love the pocket water so I wouldn't over look it. I'd think a rubber legs with a dark lord or zebra midge would be a good bet.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post

About water speed, I’d also suggest that most of the fish that I catch on the Pit out of faster water are still actually holding in pretty slow to moderate current. So many buckets there where they can hang out and make minimal movements to grab food tumbling by. I can’t remember what the earliest date is that I’ve fished there. I want to say it was early March or maybe late February? I’m not sure that that trip really offers much in the way of advice, however, as it was unseasonably warm then. We did have luck with lots of old standby patterns, including rubber leg stones (of course!), and on streamers too. I really hesitate to even offer that single experience, since it really wasn’t exactly winter like conditions, other than the fact that if I personally would still probably put a lot of emphasis on fishing some of the same attractor patterns in some of the same honey holes. I suspect the feedback from the fish would be pretty clear before long, one way or another.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I’d echo Jason - especially on Pit 5, which I fish more often. It’s more like a smaller lower Sac, riffles and deeper, slower slots that the fish hold in.

What are the winter flows like? I wonder if they are down a bit from the kayaker flows in the summer?

I have to ask though, Jeff. You have time to fish in what looks to be the first week that the coast rivers are dropping into shape and look to be loaded with fish, and a guy from Santa Rosa is headed to the Pit???

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    I’d echo Jason - especially on Pit 5, which I fish more often. It’s more like a smaller lower Sac, riffles and deeper, slower slots that the fish hold in.

What are the winter flows like? I wonder if they are down a bit from the kayaker flows in the summer?

I have to ask though, Jeff. You have time to fish in what looks to be the first week that the coast rivers are dropping into shape and look to be loaded with fish, and a guy from Santa Rosa is headed to the Pit???
    That's a good question. Believe me, I've pondered heading up to Fortuna this week. However, I like to fish the Van Duzen when I go up there, and it looks like it's predicted to be around 500cfs on Saturday. That is usually borderline clarity at those flows. So I'm just hoping that the rain stays away for another week and I get another window to fish up there in February. Another reason for the Pit trip is I need a sure thing and lots of fish. I haven't had a fish on my line since October. So I'm in need of fish fix big time! The Pit usually provides that and then some.