I don't know where this thread went. I was in the process of writing on it. I hope somebody didn't take it down for it's content. It was something for the public to know.

My response!

Folks,

I have been struggling with guiding and doing tours on the American River, just for this reason.

Early this month I did a American River Steelhead Tour with three people. We did the normal tour starting up at Sailor Bar and traveling all the way down to Watt avenue. Everywhere we went there was homeless and trash everywhere. My clients where nervous and tell you the truth I was looking over my back the complete time (the Deputy in me). I just am amazed of the situation. We fished at Lower Sailor's Bar that day. One of the clients left early do to an appointment he had to keep. The other two fished with me. One of the my clients left to go back to his car for a wading staff that he forgot. He didn't come back so I went looking for him. I found him at his car with a smashed window and one of the most unprofessional park rangers I have ever dealt with. They took his change of close, his wading staff and a coffee mug. The unprofessional park rangers was blaming my client for being so stupid that he left a coffee mug in pan site. I step in and called the Sheriff's office and I told the park ranger to leave. She didn't like that. The Sheriff's office took the complaint. The deputy that was dispatched to the call - informed me that this is just one of thousands of crimes that have had happened in the park. There has been assaults, rapes and robberies at gun point. he told me that even there at Sailor's Bar is getting bad. It is not the worst she said.

Don't get me wrong there are similar issues on the Feather in the town of Oroville and the Lower Sac below Highway 44 in town. But, the American is disgusting and unsafe. I have ended all my guiding and tours on the American for Steelhead and for Shad for this reason.

I think fly fishers need to band fishing on the American and let the all mighty dollar speak for the unsafe and disgusting environment that has over taken the river.

We as a fly fisher group need to raise hell about this!

This is just my two cents and being a retired law enforcement person - I just will not let myself or my clients become a victim of this city's lack of creating a safe and clean environment for the public to enjoy.

There are plenty of places to fish.

Just my two cents.

Be safe!