Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vehicle break ins at Sunrise area!

Some are RVing north in the summer and south in the winter........year round fishing.

Some have a small home where it is nice in the summer (MT) and another that is nice in the winter (FL).

Houses in these places are usually much cheaper than in California as long as they are in an expensive area.

We are headed back to Sebastian, Florida in a few weeks to fish for small Tarpon, Snook, Redfish, Ladyfish and Seatrout.

Weather is averagely in the 70s in the winter in Florida so you can fish year round for something.

There are tons of inspiring YouTube videos on fishing Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP3_r7xZQsU

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I imagine that such a program is not possible due to legal problems. Say a volunteer ranger, working under the authority of the city or county, but without graduation from an accredited law enforcement course of instruction, the appointing authority could incur a lawsuit if a suspect was injured or illegally detained, during an arrest. Or if the ranger was injured, would that same authority fully cover medical and other costs? Add the cost of a background investigation, polygraph, and compensation of uniforms and equipment, training and a supervised check period, I really don’t see any rational city or county authority using this option. But then again we are talking about California where safe and sane decisions are ignored for feel good programs.

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine that works at the fish hatchery there on the American River. He was telling me that every morning a staff member has the duty of walking around the grounds to clean up toilet paper and human s"*t. If they run into a homeless person they call a warden or police to have them removed.

This just confirms my decision to stop guiding and doing tours on the river.

Really folks is there anyone out there that wants to stand in water and fish that someone is crapping in or worse disgrading their use needles in.

Not this kid!

Sorry to be a party pooper on a Friday. Have a great weekend and fish some place than the American.
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Lance,

I feel the same way about the Russian River.

Carl

Don't forget to mention the Feather and the Yuba too. There are miles of camps all along both rivers and the police/sheriff depts have been told to not harass them.

It seems the worse around cities and populated areas where these folk can scrounge and steal easily, get food stamps for free, and all the drugs they want.

Think too about eating any of the fish that inhabit these waters.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I hear you!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

As bad as they are, the Eel might be even worse? We drifted it last year about 10 days after a high water event and you
    could have fully stocked a swap meet with all of the clothing, sleeping bags and tarps that were hanging from the bushes along the river.

What I don't understand as it relates to break ins on an urban fishery such as the American River is why there isn't wifi at the parking areas so that if someone wants to put a live streaming camera in their vehicle to keep an eye out so to speak they can do it and without running afoul of ACLU complaints about fixed municipal cameras in public spaces. It's automated, scalable and a fraction of the cost of the overhead for more law enforcement, or the liability of a citizen force.

The trash and feces are another issue.

Bill it’s all well and good but many of the places you list don’t have an abundance of jobs and honestly are quickly becoming as expensive as CA...

Everyone is not to trot on moving to Reno but I don’t see the appeal.

Anyways back on topic. I don’t fish the American at all despite living 1 mile from Paradise Beach. The fishing isn’t good enough to justify the riff raff.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 02-01-2020 at 08:40 AM.

California has unfortunately been ruined. The state is governed out of the population centers of LA and San Fran and it’s only going to get worse. You have the second highest rate of income tax in the country behind only New York. Yet it’s ok to poop on the street and accountability is considered a dirty word. I loved growing up in Nor Cal. That place is long gone.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com