Thread: Late trip report...

Default Late trip report...

Left Sacramento on 1/1/20 at 0800 for Miranda. Was scoping out green water on the SF Eel by around noon. Despite good color, nothing doing, also hit the main stem briefly near the confluence before dusk.

Overnighted in Fortuna and went to the Van Duzen at 0600. Found something better than chocolate milk and worse than heavily creamed coffee when it came to the color despite half decent flows and a dryish spell leading up to my trip. Had to quickly scramble to find a plan B.

Needed to be in Lewiston by that evening so though my heart pulled me toward Redwood Creek, logic dictated fishing Willow Creek to Del Loma by hopping likely roadside runs. Hit Willow Creek by 0900 and fished upriver as far as Del Loma by dusk. Got a few grabs, hooked two, landed one.

01/03 and 01/04 I fished with Brian Clemens on two different floats. We experienced success, failure, good casts, bad casts, laughs and literal tears. Some fish were caught. Most were not. Whiskey got drank. Sandos got eaten. Swinging and nymphing both worked, the latter a little better.

This was my first real road trip in awhile and it was nice to see some new water, burn up some tires and gas, and find a few players... let’s see what the next big storm tomorrow drums up.

Main eel is supposed to shoot up to 19-20k! Good news that’s for sure.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

We experienced success, failure, good casts, bad casts, laughs and literal tears. Some fish were caught. Most were not. Whiskey got drank. Sandos got eaten.

Steelheading right there.

Good stuff!

I can still recall some of my steelhead trips from many years ago......great memories with good old friends, some gone now.

Steelheading is not for everyone but those who love it will have great memories......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    I can still recall some of my steelhead trips from many years ago......great memories with good old friends, some gone now.

Steelheading is not for everyone but those who love it will have great memories......
    I am trying to get more serious about it, especially the coastal game. Work gets in the way, and it is a long, long haul to Fortuna, always on short notice, for a few decent days of flow and water color per season. Once I hook into one of those ghosts I know it will be done and work will become a long after thought second priority from December to March. For now I scratch my itch on the old reliable Trinity and Klamath.

I’ve scheduled a business trip to the North Coast with enough time available to fish this week, and thus have all the rivers blown with the storms that they have been hoping for all winter. I’ll take credit for that.

You’re welcome.

Call me Mr. Shoulda been there last (or next) week.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    I’ve scheduled a business trip to the North Coast with enough time available to fish this week, and thus have all the rivers blown with the storms that they have been hoping for all winter. I’ll take credit for that.

You’re welcome.

Call me Mr. Shoulda been there last (or next) week.

Story of my life