Thread: Anybody float the Navarro?

Default Anybody float the Navarro?

Hope I don't anger too many people for asking about this river online, in terms of publicizing it. I've tried to wade fish it in past seasons but its tough access and super brushy, and what spots there are always taken anyway. On weekends there's always fisherman driving around looking really upset as they discover this for themselves, so don't feel like further exposure is going to cause any harm.

Would like to float it in my 8’ outcast pontoon, and am thinking Dimmick Grove to Hwy 1 bridge with one night camping.

Anybody have experience floating this river? Would 3-400 cfs be about right? Any reports on conditions if floated this season?

Obviously I'll have to get creative with the shuttle if I'm by myself. Maybe somebody else is interested in doing the float also in a small craft of their own? Think my 12’ 2 man pontoon would be too big and bulky.

Please feel free to PM if you wish. Thanks

For a few decades we have canoed and rafted the Navarro as well as the river above, which is named Rancheria Creek. Our boating was for the boating pleasure and not to fish it but, at the right levels, which I did several times with small groups of scouts and beginning boaters, it could be a great trip.

Keep in mind any "camping" you will questionably legal. You may want to ask State Parks.

We often used Dimmick as our take out, having put in at/near Hendy Woods (or above several miles...not open to fishing). Just so you know Hendy to Dimmick is one long day at pretty good levels! At "fishable levels" it is better treated as an overnight. Dimmick to the mouth is, at fishable levels, pretty slow so planning an overnight is not a bad idea.

Less often I have floated Dimmick to Hwy. 1 and never at a level I would have considered fishing it, always higher. You will still run into the other folks fishing that have bushwhacked their way to the river and probably make one or two unhappy you need t float right over "their" hole. I am sure you will as polite as is possible.

From a boating standpoint there is one real danger that should not be ignored (below Dimmick) an that is brush, branches. Commonly called "sweeps". They change from weeks to week. Getting caught in any of those turns could be very bad. Be careful.

The second danger, if you choose to boat above Dimmick, is the river is quite remote and any accident that might leave one without a boat can lead to a long walk out.....I know!

Have a good time.

Thanks very much bobvp! This is very helpful

I fished it for 1.5 hours this eve at Hendy. Flows and color are nearly perfect, and a few fish are being caught (not by me).