Thread: Pyramid Report 1/22/2020

Default Pyramid Report 1/22/2020

Once again, today was my day to play at Pyramid.

Up at 5:45 and a NICE 48 degrees according to the thermometer.
    Downed lots o' coffee and was on the road @ 7:40.

The drive thru Reno just after 8:00 wasn't too bad either.
    I think I hit it just right..........after the morning commute and before the 9:00-10:00 commute.
    I've gotta keep that little tid bit in the easy access gray-matter file cabinet.

Arrived at "that southern beach I like to frequent" around 8:45 and was greeted by Coltss (Bob) and Carmen.
    I was completely shocked to learn that Carmen has had a couple of skunkin's over the last week and was working on another this morning.

Just like last week ...............................uhhhhh Ohhhhhhhhhh..........not a good sign.

I suited up and was on the water close to 9:00 with my "big stick with 'cator" in hand.

Just a short while afterwards, a Subie pulled up and parked, the driver suited up and came to the waters edge and said, "Good morning Carmen, Good morning Bob".
    I turned around and said "Bill,........... Bill Quinn...........is that you" ??
    Bill had a great big ol' grin on his face and I hustled to the shore, shook his hand, and introduced myself.
    Embarrassingly enough, I was "reminded" that we had met last year when I gave him a pair of nitrile gloves because his hands appeared to be freezing.

OOOOOPPPPPSSSSSSS................................. ..................

Sorry Bill, I guess I'm suffering from CRS............... you know..................Can't Remember S#$t.

So we all waded out to our "spots" and began fishing.
    Not much happened during the morning hours.
    There was a light northerly wind producing some chop on the water and it was overcast most of the day too.
    Seemed like the "perfect day" to be fishing Pyramid.
    Around 1:00 I had my first fish on and landed it.
    It was a rat, but it WAS A FISH.............
    THANK GOD I AVOIDED THE SKUNK TODAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I believe it was around 2:00 I hooked into and landed a second fish...........another rat.

--------- side note here---------- both fish ate the "Cherry Bomb Midge".

Shortly afterwards Carmen called it a day and left with an o'fer.
    Shortly after that, Coltss (Bob) packed it in and left with an o'fer one.

That left Bill and I to shut down the lake this evening.

I did get to net a "Toad" for a young man just down from me/us.
    He played his fish like an expert and I took a few photos for him after netting it.
    What impressed me the most with this young man was the care he used to make sure the fish was well revived before releasing him.
    Kudos to you and good job !!!

Later, Bill and I stumbled our way into a conversation about catamaran sailing.
    As it turns out, Bill and I attended and sailed in numerous sailing regattas with and against each other some 30-40 years ago.

WOAH !!!!!!!

We had a great time recollecting "way back when" and "name dropping" of mutual old friends.
    I gotta' admit...........I got a big lump in my throat and my eyes clouded up thinking of all of those old friends I haven't seen in 3 plus decades.

So, while we were reminiscing about the "old days", I wasn't paying attention to the fishing and missed a strike.

Bill and I slogged out of the water around 4:30 calling it a day.

I believe Bill took an o'fer today.
    I went 2 for 3.

It was a wonderful fishing day at Pyramid..................................the catching not so much............

Thank you Bill for re-living the "old days" with me today.
    I appreciate it.

Before Bill left, I checked with him to make sure he had his thermos of soup for the ride home.
    I'm sure he said he had Chicken Noodle Soup....................(hopefully he added s+p and a couple dashes of Tabasco).

For my ride home, Progresso Clam Chowder with s/p and a couple dashes of Tabasco.

Dang Cutthroats........................................ .......

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 01-25-2020 at 09:35 AM.

It is nice to read your reports of Pyramid. I got the first opportunity to fish Pyramid Lake in December and I must say that I am hooked on that lake. I am still learning a lot about the lake and I am curious if you could post a picture of the "cherry bomb midge" that was successful for you.

The current setup I am using is a #7 switch rod with the rio intouch switch chucker. I am curious if you have had luck with other integrated lines. Thanks in advance!

Here is a pic of the first and biggest fish I have caught at Pyramid in the two times I have gone. The quality of the image isn't the greatest since it was early morning and the lighting was weird. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	15355

It was great to talk to you yesterday Bob. The world is so small and life is so coincidental. I realized after getting home it has been almost forty years since our paths crossed. I was impressed with you then as a fellow catamaran racing sailor as am now as a still water Pyramid Lake fishing expert I love the lake and all it has to offer us fly fishermen. I'm sure we will all be reading up on what to do from the likes of you and Carmen and those who are generous enough to share their adventures here on the Kiene's board. See you again on the water Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    It is nice to read your reports of Pyramid. I got the first opportunity to fish Pyramid Lake in December and I must say that I am hooked on that lake. I am still learning a lot about the lake and I am curious if you could post a picture of the "cherry bomb midge" that was successful for you.

The current setup I am using is a #7 switch rod with the rio intouch switch chucker. I am curious if you have had luck with other integrated lines. Thanks in advance!

Here is a pic of the first and biggest fish I have caught at Pyramid in the two times I have gone. The quality of the image isn't the greatest since it was early morning and the lighting was weird. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	15355
    I would not worry about photo quality there- that’s a toad!

Here is a pic of the first and biggest fish I have caught at Pyramid in the two times I have gone. The quality of the image isn't the greatest since it was early morning and the lighting was weird.
    Pvillarr,

Hopefully my "Cherry Bomb Midge" picture posts.
    My photography skills are that of a "rank amateur" too.

Click pic to enlarge..................
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0278.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	15356

Size 8 TMC 2457 hook
    1/8" Tungsten Metallic Red Bead
    Black thread UTC 140 denier or Uni-Thread 6/0
    Ultra Wire Red Size Medium
    UTC "Holo Tinsel" Size Large Black
    Thin coating of LOCTITE Brush-On Super Glue ............. let dry for 15 minutes................optional
    Thin even coating of Deer Creek Fine Flex UV Resin............................................. .........optional

As far as integrated lines........................

For my Redington Dually 7wt., I use a Wulff Ambush 550 grain line.
    Some will and have scoffed at me for using 550 grains on my 7wt. but, it EASILY rips a large indicator and two tungsten bead flies a VERY long way out there without a lot of effort.
    The only negative about the Ambush line is the head has a lot of "memory"------coiling even after giving it a good stretching.

For my Cabela's Vector 6wt., I use a Scientific Anglers Switch Adapt (discontinued) line @ 440 grains, which feels slightly underlined as compaired to my 7wt. rig........... ie.......not quite as much "power".

That's a nice, beautiful "piggy" you caught there.
    It's no doubt why that fish (and your first too) has given you "Pyramid Fever".

Catch you at the lake sometime ????

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 01-24-2020 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Added fly materials list

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the info. Is your “cherry bomb midge” made with thread or with tinsel? It definitely looks enticing.

Also, how is it roll casting the Ambush line being a 28.5’ head? I’ve never tried one of those lines but they look pretty cool. Over lining the rod totally makes sense to me at pyramid since we are predominantly roll casting/single spey casting.

I am currently researching ladders for Pyramid. All my success has been fishing in the rocky areas with deep drop offs.

Btw, thank you for the compliments on the fish. That moment was definitely a highlight in my life lol. And yes we should definitely link up sometime on the lake. It’s usually my father and I fishing out there. It’s always good to make new fishing friends!

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the info. Is your “cherry bomb midge” made with thread or with tinsel? It definitely looks enticing.

Also, how is it roll casting the Ambush line being a 28.5’ head? I’ve never tried one of those lines but they look pretty cool. Over lining the rod totally makes sense to me at pyramid since we are predominantly roll casting/single spey casting.

I am currently researching ladders for Pyramid. All my success has been fishing in the rocky areas with deep drop offs.

Btw, thank you for the compliments on the fish. That moment was definitely a highlight in my life lol. And yes we should definitely link up sometime on the lake. It’s usually my father and I fishing out there. It’s always good to make new fishing friends!
    Pvillarr,

Here are the "ingredients" for the Cherry Bomb Midge........ I tie them on size 8 TMC 2457 hooks:

Thin coating of LOCTITE Brush-On Super Glue ............. let dry for 15 minutes................optional
    Thin even coating of Deer Creek Fine Flex UV Resin............................................. .........optional

The 1/8" Red Tungsten beads are a little hard to find in shops. I order mine from the big auction site.

The Ambush 28.5' head ?
    For me, that weight (550 grains) and the 28.5' length just "feels right" for my switch rod.
    I've got no problems turning all the "junk" over with a roll cast and I get great distance too.

Here's a contact # for a guy that makes specialty "Pyramid Ladders" in Carson City.
    His name is Ernie Walsh and his phone number is (775) 883-8699.
    Hopefully he's still in the ladder making business.

Board member coltss (Bob) uses one of his ladders and it's a real treat to fish from.
    Maybe you could send coltss (Bob) a private e/m and he'll give you some great info......... you up for it Bob ??

And KUDOS to you for fishing the lake with your father.
    Hopefully you and dad create tons of memories out there that neither of you will forget.........good job !!!

Bob

Good job Bob, sorry I did not make it out yesterday. Turns out the Yuba was the right choice for me...but the "deets" of my day will remain a bit more private

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Good job Bob, sorry I did not make it out yesterday. Turns out the Yuba was the right choice for me...but the "deets" of my day will remain a bit more private
    Ahhhhhhh........................................

Playing the ole' "loose lips sinks ships" card are ya ??

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    Pvillarr,

Here are the "ingredients" for the Cherry Bomb Midge........ I tie them on size 8 TMC 2457 hooks:

The 1/8" Red Tungsten beads are a little hard to find in shops. I order mine from the big auction site.

The Ambush 28.5' head ?
    For me, that weight (550 grains) and the 28.5' length just "feels right" for my switch rod.
    I've got no problems turning all the "junk" over with a roll cast and I get great distance too.

Here's a contact # for a guy that makes specialty "Pyramid Ladders" in Carson City.
    His name is Ernie Walsh and his phone number is (775) 883-8699.
    Hopefully he's still in the ladder making business.

Board member coltss (Bob) uses one of his ladders and it's a real treat to fish from.
    Maybe you could send coltss (Bob) a private e/m and he'll give you some great info......... you up for it Bob ??

And KUDOS to you for fishing the lake with your father.
    Hopefully you and dad create tons of memories out there that neither of you will forget.........good job !!!

Bob
    Thank you for the information Bob. It is definitely appreciated.

Good to know about the Ambush line. I need to try them sometime.

I have already contacted Ernie and I am waiting for a call back. Those ladders do sure look nice.

Yeah, my father and I are having a blast fishing there. Here are a few more pics of us.

Name:	unnamed (3).jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	15362

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	15363

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg