Old friends Dan Chamberlin and Don Hays of Delta Construction had gone in 1985 so they helped us get a trip together.

Joe Shirshac and I co-hosted this first trip to Christmas Island for Kiene's Fly Shop.

The first day we got into a small Isuzu pickup with a 'dog house' like roof on the back with benches on each side.

We rode in the back and the guide and drive was in the cab. It was a guide for 4 people back then.

Those first years the native were driving the trucks and had no experience. We ended up going like 70 mile an hour and going

air born at times. I heard one week they had a big wreck were people got hurt so they slowed way down.

I had 3 old timers with me and on the way out to the flats the truck stopped and they told me to get out and go fishing.

They went further with the 3 other guys to a flat further away.

I walked to the water and saw 3 small Bones cruising along the edge towards me in a foot of water.

I had never Bonefished so I just cast in front of them and started stripping slowly. One dart ahead and ate the fly.

I caught about 6 Bonefish my first time in about an hour and was pretty happy.

Later they drove back and picked me up. I was afraid these old guys might have not done well so I never mentioned my good

fortune. Soon after I got in the back of the truck they all told me that had caught some Bonefish and I was so relieved.

For the first 20 years or so? everyone stayed at the Captain Cook Hotel that was an old RAF barracks.

Frontiers Travel in Wexberg, PA had the exclusive for the fishing on Christmas Island through the Kiribati government.

We loved the native food which was pig, tuna, trevally, wahou, lobster and sweet fresh home made bread made with coconut milk.

Almost everyone I know who went to Christmas Island went back or wanted to go back. Some went every year.....

After some years Marilyn and I ended up using very light 9' #7 line 4 pc rods with large light weight reels because the flies were small

and sparce. You really don't put much drag on a Bonefish because they go fast and wear themselves out.

We had our guide carry a 9' #10 line outfit that we used for Trevally when they showed up.

I was able to take some of my best friends with me over the years.

My brother Dick went once and he out fished me every day which made me so happy.

My friend Don Rotsma went twice with me.

Staff member Chris Pasley went with me once.

Staff member Alan Barnard went once with me than other times without me.

High school neighborhood friend Larry Kelly went with me once after his divorce..said it changed his life.

My uncle Dean Dunphy and cousins Pat and Chris from Souther Cal went with me once.

My uncle Tom and Rich Chapin went twice to Christmas Island.

My dad and I went once together.

Marilyn went with me three times and is her favorite destination. She landed 30 one day plus a 10 pound Bone with Tyrone.

She cast really well to about 60 feet and is not color blind so she could really see the fish plus casting is short wading for Bones.