Thread: Fishing in southern England

Default Fishing in southern England

Hi,
    Visiting my sister in July. Anyone have experience and recommendations for trout fishing in the area? Is there salmon or sea trout fishing? Would need to go to public or cheap water. Prob will only have a day.
    Thanks in advance!

Very little chance of finding quality public fishing for trout; that said, a day on one of the famous chalk streams is not unreasonable. $200-$300 for a day is cheap compared to west coast USA guides. Most of the better rivers are within 30 minutes of Salisbury, or 90 minutes from London.

If you can get a day, I would highly recommend these guys.
    http://www.famousfishing.co.uk/our-r...-fishing_9.php

Small rivers, clear waters, sight fishing, chunky trout.
    Not likely to find salmon or sea trout in July but I think it’s right time for the green drake hatch.
    I’d book ASAP as the prime times fill up early.
    Robert

I think if you get way away from the cities they have Inns that you can stay at on a stream that have fishing rights.

Mel and Fanny Krieger use to do this in rural areas of Europe.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    I think if you get way away from the cities they have Inns that you can stay at on a stream that have fishing rights.

Mel and Fanny Krieger use to do this in rural areas of Europe.
    Thanks fellas! My Sister lives in East Cowes. Looks like there is some cool tourism between there and Salisbury.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    Thanks fellas! My Sister lives in East Cowes. Looks like there is some cool tourism between there and Salisbury.
    We really enjoyed the Royal Navy ships in Portsmouth, Nelson’s flagship HMS Victory and a steam powered gunship whose name I can’t recall. The New Forest, Winchester or Salisbury cathedrals. Stonehenge was nice but better was Avebury, near Marlborough, about 20 miles north of Stonehenge and in the heart of the chalk streams. You can walk among the stones and touch them, unlike Stonehenge.
    Robert

Lots good Stillwater fishing there

Check out trout and salmon or trout fisherman magazines or online using co.uk address

My daughter lived in Bath for 7 years so we spent a lot of time in the area. I have used a Martin Cottis on the Chew/Blagdon lakes. His email is martin@troutguide.co.uk. He is very knowledgable and got me into trout, pike and carp all on the fly. You might also search out any fishing clubs in the Wight area. I was a member of the BathHampton Fishing club. These clubs are for all fishing, gear and fly. They lease and manage stretches of waters and private ponds. You pay a membership fee and get a license at a local fishing shop. They will give you list of local waters and the fees associated for full or half days. When I was there the fees were about 10.00 USD for a really nice beat on a small stream. Fees for a stock pond ranged from 2.50 USD to 12.00. Feel free to pm me if you need more info.

Tha ks so much for the info!

July is tricky, although given the circumstances you make not be allowed to travel to the UK then. It’s not quite prime time but very expensive in that part of the country. There is some free fishing on the River Itchen take a look at that, if not it’ll be £2-300 a day for the River Test (and tribs). If you are over in the Winter then there is good Grayling fishing to be had on the Broadlands beat of the River Test which is good value at that time of year. If you fancy some Stillwater fly fishing then it’s a 1-2 hour drive from there to either Chew Valley lakes or Blagdon, both are outstanding venues to fish from a boat.

You may already know, but as well as the day fishing permit you’ll need to buy an environment agency rod license, these can be purchased online for 1 day, 7 day or 1 year time periods.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by terryphillips; 05-14-2020 at 05:23 PM.