Thread: New Florida bass lake - Headwaters Lake near Fellsmere, Florida.

Default New Florida bass lake - Headwaters Lake near Fellsmere, Florida.

Video by Peter Hinck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLKCGCqNXeA&t=354s

Old Lady Angler video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuBT_hbgCjM

The Florida Fish & Wildlife have been working on this new special bass lake for about 10 years.

It is at the top or headwaters of the Saint Johns river that runs north to Jacksonville.

It has been open to canoes, kayaks and Stand Up Paddle Boards for a year or so.

They put in a million Florida strain Large Mouth Bass that are now up to 10 pounds.

I think they invested about 3.5 million dollars so far.

They are right now constructing the boat ramp and parking for trailered boats.

I believe it will have a 25 mile per hour speed limit and be catch-n-release for bass.

It might be ready to fish for trailered boats by March of 2020?

Winter and spring are fresh water bass time in Florida.

I heard the bass spawn off and on from December through April in Florida.

This is a huge deal for bass fisherman.............and less than an hour from my house in Sebastian, Florida.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Some states like Florida, Texas, and others spend resources developing bass fisheries and habitat. Others do literally nothing or even make efforts to eradicate them. Wonder which one we live in. One saving grace is that bass are hearty sons of bitches and often do well despite poor management. California continues to have some of the best bass fishing in the country. Imagine how it would be if the state did something to help it.

I love all top water fishing.....especially for bass......LMB and SMB.

Looks like the California Water Barrons have gone too far trying to get rid of all non-indigenous fish species?

If the CA Dept of Water Resources can eliminate all the fish then the fishermen will go away with no one in their way.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by MThompson View Post
    Some states like Florida, Texas, and others spend resources developing bass fisheries and habitat. Others do literally nothing or even make efforts to eradicate them. Wonder which one we live in. One saving grace is that bass are hearty sons of bitches and often do well despite poor management. California continues to have some of the best bass fishing in the country. Imagine how it would be if the state did something to help it.
    On the surface I would say you are correct, however FL has also more or less completely ruined Lake Okeechobee due to poor water management practices and not regulating agricultural runoff appropriately. So, it's not like it's all rainbows and unicorns down there either.

I'm aware of what's going on in Florida. I was speaking in general terms based on the example Bill mentioned.

California and Florida both have lots of water and have both done a terrible job protecting their ecosystem.

Large iconic Lake Okeechobee gets tons of agricultural runoff (Big Sugar?) which in high water from rains gets released in both West

and East huge canals which run out in both coasts to pollute the inshore ecosystems. Really bad news......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Headwaters Lake near the town of Fellsmere and right next to the famous Sick Marsh will be open soon to boats on trailers.

Many have been fishing it with Stand Up Paddle Boards (SUP), canoes and kayaks that they can drag to the water.

We heard that there might be no horse power limit but a speed limit of 25 mph to keep it safe and quieter.

For the Florida strain large mouth bass it will be catch-n-release. Other warm water species will be local area limits.

This will be the biggest thing to happen in Florida's fresh water fishing in decades.

Many will put an RV as close to the lake as possible or buy/rent a small house in Fellsmere.

Here are some videos......

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...e+fl+fellsmere
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958