Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: favorite knot for leader to tippet

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Guy Dave View Post
    X2. Since I started using tippet rings, I through a lot fewer leaders.
    x3 Dave. It's the best "invention" ever for the reason you stated. I go through a very minimal amount of
    leaders nowadays. And they are light enough to use with dries to boot.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    x3 Dave. It's the best "invention" ever for the reason you stated. I go through a very minimal amount of
    leaders nowadays. And they are light enough to use with dries to boot.
    Eric
    Yep- what Eric and Dave said! I started using tippet rings about 15 years ago when I needed to change tippet diameter quickly when swapping from nymphs to streamers and back. In the past 5 years, at least, I use tippet rings for everything from saltwater to spring creek dries. With them you can make big jumps in leader diameter without sacrificing knot strength. I haven't found any mono to mono knot that comes close to the strength of a knot to a tippet ring. I start with a knotless tapered leader, but once the tippet needs to be replaced, on goes a tippet ring. Most leaders will last many weeks of fishing with only the tippets replaced to the ring. I'm still waiting for a situation where tippet rings negatively influence catch rate. For big streamers and flies that like to helicopter a tiny Spro swivel takes the place of a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Yep- what Eric and Dave said! I started using tippet rings about 15 years ago when I needed to change tippet diameter quickly when swapping from nymphs to streamers and back. In the past 5 years, at least, I use tippet rings for everything from saltwater to spring creek dries. With them you can make big jumps in leader diameter without sacrificing knot strength. I haven't found any mono to mono knot that comes close to the strength of a knot to a tippet ring. I start with a knotless tapered leader, but once the tippet needs to be replaced, on goes a tippet ring. Most leaders will last many weeks of fishing with only the tippets replaced to the ring. I'm still waiting for a situation where tippet rings negatively influence catch rate. For big streamers and flies that like to helicopter a tiny Spro swivel takes the place of a ring.
    Ralph,

Will tippet ring be okay for 12’ leader down to 6X? If so, exactly what size ring? IOW what's the brand, and what does it say on the package regarding size (“really tiny”, “ultra small”, “itty bitty”, etc).

Thanks,

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by peterkoistinen View Post
    Ralph,

Will tippet ring be okay for 12’ leader down to 6X? If so, exactly what size ring? IOW what's the brand, and what does it say on the package regarding size (“really tiny”, “ultra small”, “itty bitty”, etc).

Thanks,

Pete
    Yes, tippet rings work fine on 6x. I bought a bunch from a European dealer before they were popular and readily available in the US. I don't know the brand or size. Rio's 2mm (25#) rings seem to be similar to the ones I have.
    Last edited by Ralph; 01-25-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Ralph & Peter,
    Funny senior moment story; last summer I was fishing Fishigan's AuSable and had forgotten to bring
    my tippet rings. Went into a local shop to purchase same. The clerk said he had them and pointed
    out the Rio package. It contained a snap swivel; both of us looked and didn't see any rings.
    They are THAT TINY. Left the shop and found them on the Rio web site on my phone. Returned
    the next day for a purchase. Both of us were a little red-faced.
    The ones I had purchased years ago all came in packets of 20 or so.

Best to all,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Larry, "THAT TINY"!

With a light touch down, they float on the surface film. If I were the nefarious owner of a fly shop I wouldn't mention, much less sell the things, because they would make a SERIOUS dent in leader sales. Tip: tie your leader to the ring BEFORE slipping it off of the snap swivel. If you don't, you will most likely drop the damn thing with never any hope of finding it again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Troutbitten_Tippet_Ring.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	222.0 KB 
ID:	15376  
    Last edited by Ralph; 01-27-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Larry, "THAT TINY"!

With a light touch down, they float on the surface film. If I were the nefarious owner of a fly shop I wouldn't mention, much less sell the things, because they would make a SERIOUS dent in leader sales. Tip: tie your leader to the ring BEFORE slipping it off of the snap swivel. If you don't, you will most likely drop the damn thing with never any hope of finding it again.

Good point- dummy me figured that out once and tied up to the swivel and THEN realized I was on the closed side of the snap!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    Ralph & Peter,
    Funny senior moment story; last summer I was fishing Fishigan's AuSable and had forgotten to bring
    my tippet rings. Went into a local shop to purchase same. The clerk said he had them and pointed
    out the Rio package. It contained a snap swivel; both of us looked and didn't see any rings.
    They are THAT TINY. Left the shop and found them on the Rio web site on my phone. Returned
    the next day for a purchase. Both of us were a little red-faced.
    The ones I had purchased years ago all came in packets of 20 or so.

Best to all,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Made me chuckle. I wasn't shopping for them when I first saw the teeny tiny rings....... I only saw the snap swivel too. They make perfect sense. I like the tiny spros too.

Larry, "THAT TINY"!

Great point on how to attach the rings Ralph. Spent too many minutes looking for one on the rocks after dropping.
    Will never be found...ever.

Crazy Alberto knot.
    I use less turns than the 12 they typically use
    6 works for me. It’s good on lines of different dia.