Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: favorite knot for leader to tippet

I’ve always used blood knots for leader, trilene knot to the fly. New for me, on the mid-late 40s border, is that I need optimal light to get the blood knot threaded. Magnifiers don’t seem to help, I just animatedly move my body/hands/line until I get the light right. Dusk is tough if the leader breaks. Oh I use tippet rings a fair bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Tippet ring with Uni Knot or improved clinch on either side.
    X2. Since I started using tippet rings, I through a lot fewer leaders.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Some in this discussion seem to feel that DOUBLE and TRIPLE surgeons are comparable. I have done extensive experimenting on my porch, with a beer, breaking leader in my hands to determine if TRIPLE surgeons is significantly stronger than DOUBLE. The answer is YES! If I can tell with my bare hands, the difference is not subtle.

I recommend you ALWAYS pass through that third time. It might save you the big one.

Some like the Double Surgeons for larger tippet (0x - 3x) to keep the knot bulk down and the Triple Surgeons for finer tippets (4x-7x).
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Great discussion. I appreciate the insight. I like tippet rings while nymphing but have never used them while fishing dries.

I've heard Tim Rajeff talk about a knot that goes as follows: you create a loop like you would for a surgeons knot but instead of passing the line through the loop, 2-3x depending, you stick you finger in the loop, twist 3x and then pull the line through. He said Lefty Kreh taught him the knot. Anyone know if this knot has a name or used it before?

Bill,

I have found that passing the line thru 3 times is even a bigger bump, however if you go 4 times it flattens back out somewhat in Mono

For the best strength in BRAID use the triple surgeons knot (6 times through) and 50 pound power pro will test out around 56-57 pounds test- my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by TroutHunter10 View Post
    Great discussion. I appreciate the insight. I like tippet rings while nymphing but have never used them while fishing dries.

I've heard Tim Rajeff talk about a knot that goes as follows: you create a loop like you would for a surgeons knot but instead of passing the line through the loop, 2-3x depending, you stick you finger in the loop, twist 3x and then pull the line through. He said Lefty Kreh taught him the knot. Anyone know if this knot has a name or used it before?
    Spider hitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Spider hitch?
    Yep- use it for tuna rigs when the bite is hot and you don’t have time for mono to leader knots.

Quote Originally Posted by TroutHunter10 View Post

I'm pretty sure that's a Seguar knot. Strong and straight, but even bulkier than a triple surgeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra D View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's a Seguar knot. Strong and straight, but even bulkier than a triple surgeons.
    Yep, its the segaur knot.