Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: favorite knot for leader to tippet

Just bought and used tippet rings for the first time...won't be without them again. Before others discover them one might want to divest themselves of any investment in leader manufacturers! I can make one tapered leader last all day+.

Like stated above the rings are really tiny, and do thread them before removing them from the swivel, cuz if you drop one you will never find it again. They are about the size of a small letter O in the text on this board.

Nymphed with them only so far, but I imagine if you are dry fly fishing with 5X or larger sinkage won't be a issue.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post
    Just bought and used tippet rings for the first time...won't be without them again. Before others discover them one might want to divest themselves of any investment in leader manufacturers! I can make one tapered leader last all day+.

Like stated above the rings are really tiny, and do thread them before removing them from the swivel, cuz if you drop one you will never find it again. They are about the size of a small letter O in the text on this board.

Nymphed with them only so far, but I imagine if you are dry fly fishing with 5X or larger sinkage won't be a issue.

JB
    that's what I do too.

Quote Originally Posted by beachjumper1 View Post
    that's what I do too.
    If you are nymphing, I'd also try out micro swivels, size 14. They arent as tiny as a tippet ring but reduce line twist. I really like them when throwing indicator rigs especially with bigger flies like rubberlegs that can twist up a leader when left hanging in the current or in the wind

Quote Originally Posted by JGB View Post

JB
    I have yet to figure out why everyone doesn't use tippet rings. They must enjoy buying/making leaders. All day? My leaders live until I decide it might be a good idea to change them. If I were not using ring I would have probably gone through 10-15 leaders by then. I do recycle the ring though because I am the ultimate cheapskate.

I have yet to try micro swivels. I don't indicator fish but I do Euro (poorly I may add). Maybe I'll give those a whirl at some point.