Thread: American Flow Changes/Status

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default American Flow Changes/Status

Anyone know where they're posting upcoming changes to flows? Flows dropped to 2,000 today, but it doesn't look like the waterforum blog is really being updated much anymore.

Also, why are flows still so high? I realize Folsom is primarily for flood control, but inflows have been around 1,500 cfs for almost two months know before they finally dropped the outflow to 2,000 cfs. Folsom is down to 480k acre-ft. My undertanding is the flood control level is set around 570k acre-ft before they have to up flows

Wish they would have dropped to 1,500 a few weeks ago and then pushed water during rain events to mimic the natural flow and possibly bring in some fresh fish with larger flows.

I have the exact same question, especially in light of the fact that this winter is starting to dry out.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Quote Originally Posted by Renty View Post
    Anyone know where they're posting upcoming changes to flows? Flows dropped to 2,000 today, but it doesn't look like the waterforum blog is really being updated much anymore.

Also, why are flows still so high? I realize Folsom is primarily for flood control, but inflows have been around 1,500 cfs for almost two months know before they finally dropped the outflow to 2,000 cfs. Folsom is down to 480k acre-ft. My undertanding is the flood control level is set around 570k acre-ft before they have to up flows

Wish they would have dropped to 1,500 a few weeks ago and then pushed water during rain events to mimic the natural flow and possibly bring in some fresh fish with larger flows.
    DWR (DE-WATERED REGULARLY) is, unfortunately, in the business of water brokerage... not fisheries... and now that they have a new dam and spillway which can release a much greater volume of water in a short amount of time... there is little incentive for them to release more water than is coming in to Folsom Lake. Folsom is at 488,596 af and inflow and outflow is pretty much equalized. Barring an unlikely barrage of rain and/or a substantial spike in ambient temperature, it will likely remain that way until spring...