Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giant Trevally are waiting for you at Christmas Island.

This is wonderful stuff......

From 16 years old until 1985 I thought I was put on earth to be a Steelheader?

I first fished the American for Steelhead, then Joe Shirshac took us youngins to the Klamath and Trinity rivers.

Al Perryman took me and Craig Ziegler to the coast in the 1970s.

Then in the 1980s we started going salt water flats fishing that totally screwed up my plan.

Christmas Island, Florida Keys, Belize and the MX Yucatan were so exciting that I was now a salt water angler.

My comment is 90% of salt water fly fishing is casting ability because of the wind.

The first trip to salt water for most should be a good serious week long bonefishing trip.

Next go for a week to Baja for Dorado, Roosters and more.

Delta Striper anglers are the easiest converts to salt water fly fishing.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Where is your place in FL Bill? Just got back from the Keys and already planning another trip in May.

John
    We bought a little fishing shack in Sebastian, Florida 15 years ago.

It is on Central East Coast near the Sebastian river and the 100 mile plus inter coastal water way, the Indian River Lagoon.

Fishing can be good year round for something. Florida is completely under rated as far as fishing goes.

As long as you are not in a high rent area houses are cheap compared to California.

Also no state income tax for residents = 6 months and one day.

Fishing and hunting licenses are free for over 65.

I think their is a discount on your property tax for residents over 65?

Many come for a week or a month or 3 month and rent something or come in an RV to fish and golf in the winter.

If you want to do a good DIY vacation/fishing trip to Florida go visit Al Bunch at Kiene's.

Took a friend out last week and he caught this baby Tarpon on spinning gear from my boat in the Sebastian river.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarpon.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	15345
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by ifsteve View Post
    Christmas Island needs to stop chumming across the board. Please do your homework (it's a great place to go) and do not support lodges that will chum GTs.
    Agree 100% and there are a couple of Lodges that are serial offenders.Every one knows who they are and they do it because many of the "Sports" offer good financial incentive to catch a GT by any means. Make no mistake, once fish know they'll be regularly fed Milkfish bits they will not take a Fly...I call this Aquarium Fishing and that Englishman in the video (sponsored by Hardy) is chumming those fish and then simply putting the Fly in their face.This is an abhorrent practice and he has been roundly condemned for that footage ever since he posted it some time back. The reality is entirely different as most flats caught GT's on Kiritimati are between 10 and 20lbs. and while you'll see (and be lucky to get a shot at) a big boy the captures are few and far between, trust me. Best times are a rising Spring tide in the morning and late afternoon and are location specific.

Read the following summary of Kiritimati fishing by the man who knew it better than anyone and who was a friend to so many. RIP Moana Kofe...better still, print it and staple it to your bedhead to read every night before retiring. Even after fifteen fortnightly trips I still refer to its wisdom. Thanks Flywater travel.

https://www.flywatertravel.com/christmasislandtides

This really is a good bit of advice that should be memorized by anyone going there. Even the guides that are still alive there would be glad to talk with you once they know who wrote it and where you got your information.

Christmas Is. is one of the largest atolls in the world and would be tough to do it on your own. I wish I had a picture of that map painted on the wall of the Village's dinner room. It's got all the local names of the most popular flats. Does anyone have directions to a flat called " Submarine" ? Apparently, GT's feed there during high tide and get trapped as the tide drops low.

Hmmm ? Guess it's time to go explore and find out Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Moana was the man. He was so much fun to wade with, he knew so much about the fish and their behavior. One funny Moana story: my friends are crazy about milkfish. They spent hours each day trying catch mikies in the large school that gathers outside the lagoon. On the last day the guys ask Moana if he has any milkfish flies and he busts out an entire box. My friends were floored.
    Moana told me the last time I was there the milkies were feeding on worms. I got three in three successive casts on a black wooly bugger. I will miss Moana. Mems,
    Don Memmer

Marilyn and I went so long ago that all our friends there are probably gone? There life expectancy is around 50 years.

Not sure if I could remember all original guides names?

Moana, Simon, Big Eddie, Tabaki, Tyrone, Palau................and yes Tuna......

From 13 trips I have hundreds of stories I could write about.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Mems, that's a nice pic with Moana and one to treasure as the world will not see his like again anytime soon. I was fortunate to know him and spent an hour with him at this little shop near the airport a week before he passed. His every word was gospel and his stories and mythology of the indigenous people was vast and immensely entertaining while waiting for the Bonefish.

Bill, of the Guides you mention in your post...only Simon and Tyrone remain.

Mems, Submarine Flat down the back country and inland from the end of the island known collectively as the Korean Wreck is named for the rock formation that looks like a silhouette of the upper deck of a submarine. I've been fortunate to manage some very good fish there over the years and a friend on his first trip caught a nice Golden Trevally in front of me! It's more technical fishing as it's quiet water and your casting skills can be tested. I love it for that reason.

Google "Palau's map of Kiritimati" and look for the one that has the index of the flats in the top left hand corner (#15 of 43 flats and near Poland Channel).The map you mention on the wall at the Villages is a version of that map.

I really appreciate the love and respect for the island and the people I am feeling from these fantastic posts.

My wife and I get very emotional, nostalgic in our old age thinking about some of our dear friends on Christmas Island.

We would not go back because so many have passed away it would not be the same for us.

We had a gal there, Ritira Mann, who I met when she was a teenager working at Captain Cook Hotel.

I told Marilyn about Ritira before my wife's first trip there. She was imagining a island princess but Ritira was a very large lovely girl.

Over the years we took her an old Singer sewing machine, a portable CB unit they used to communicate with each other and lots of

sewing supplies. Alan Barnard and I bought her a nice portable kerosene stove at the government store there. The natives usually

cooked on open fires with coconut husks.

I have a photo of the one 15# Golden Trevally I caught, kind of like Permit fishing, it was tailing in a pass between flats.

I also caught just one 5# Milkfish on a Bonefish flies....thought it was a Bone and watched it eat. I never chased the Milkfish like others.

We caught the occasional Queenfish just over the side of flats. They were only 3 pounds and jumped.

If you wanted to you could catch hundreds of different species of fish there.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958