Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant Trevally are waiting for you at Christmas Island.

Default Giant Trevally are waiting for you at Christmas Island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Christmas Island should be on everyone bucket list.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have to agree with you about GT's being right at the top of my list. Striped Bass are number #1 locally, but GT's have to be my newest favorite fish.

As for Christmas Is. these videos make it look like every fish there is a GIANT. GT's can be small too. They all have to be an egg at some point and then grow up. So when you're fishing bonefish and a small jack grabs your fly, you may in fact have caught a "GT".

Now, the videos show the full adult GT's and that's the real game trophy size we'd all like to hook. But they don't come easy or often, even on Christmas Is..

GT's are the largest member of the "Jack" family and are spread world wide, and getting a jack anywhere is always a good fight.

Love'um, Tony

Last edited by Tony Buzolich; 01-14-2020 at 08:58 AM.
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

We catch Jack Crevalle year round here in Florida.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Christmas Island needs to stop chumming across the board. Please do your homework (it's a great place to go) and do not support lodges that will chum GTs.

They chum in the salt water almost every where I have been in the past 35 years.

I my 13 trips to Christmas Island we never did chum for anything but it was all years ago.

While we walked the vast flats of Christmas Island our guide would carry a 10 weight for us.

If we ran into any GT feeding we would try to get up to them quickly and make a shot.

Most of the big ones would get away by cutting us off in the coral.

Not sure if I would have any issues with chumming if it is "catch and release" fly fishing?

**Yes, without chumming or trolling not many big Trevally would be taken on a fly.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    We catch Jack Crevalle year round here in Florida.
    Where is your place in FL Bill? Just got back from the Keys and already planning another trip in May.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Where is your place in FL Bill? Just got back from the Keys and already planning another trip in May.

John
    Hey John, we were just wondering the other day how your trip went. Reading between the lines it must have been pretty fun to book a second trip so quick.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Jason, my first trip the the Keys was humbling, but also some of my most memorable fishing ever. I was casting well for the most part, but would get way too excited seeing big tarpon and permit and then would put waaaaay too much on the cast (hello huge loop)... that simply has never happened to me with trout! Still, managed to boat my first tarpon (just a wee one, about 20 inches), had a couple larger permit chase my fly (but not eat it), and had a couple much larger tarpon on for a few seconds then spit it out. Plus an assorted sundry of reef fish while trying for bonefish on the flats... no bones, but lots of snapper and small jacks that fight like the devil. Don't get me started on how my casting went with a weighted fly with a breeze coming from my strong side... that is a skill I need to practice. January and December are apparently the "bad months" in the keys, but I saw lots of tarpon, permit, and bones. Convinced myself right quick I need to go back when the fishing is "good". Unfinished business and all that!

John

John,

Glad to hear you got a small taste of saltwater fishing, just about all saltwater fish will kick your ass....I wish the Steelhead and Salmon would put up a better fight then they do.

Carl Blackledge

I can relate to pretty much everything you said there, in more ways than one! The only thing I see missing was pulling a huge “trout set” at the critical moment a big fish does eat the fly ��. Man, I discovered I’m really good at that one! Even managed to pull off a “grand slam trout set” day on our recent trip to Mexico: blowing it on a nice tarpon, multiple bonefish, and two permit! Definitely some unfinished business to attend to there! Saltwater fishing really is addictive.
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Jason, my first trip the the Keys was humbling, but also some of my most memorable fishing ever. I was casting well for the most part, but would get way too excited seeing big tarpon and permit and then would put waaaaay too much on the cast (hello huge loop)... that simply has never happened to me with trout! Still, managed to boat my first tarpon (just a wee one, about 20 inches), had a couple larger permit chase my fly (but not eat it), and had a couple much larger tarpon on for a few seconds then spit it out. Plus an assorted sundry of reef fish while trying for bonefish on the flats... no bones, but lots of snapper and small jacks that fight like the devil. Don't get me started on how my casting went with a weighted fly with a breeze coming from my strong side... that is a skill I need to practice. January and December are apparently the "bad months" in the keys, but I saw lots of tarpon, permit, and bones. Convinced myself right quick I need to go back when the fishing is "good". Unfinished business and all that!

John
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown