Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: American River

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    I’ve witnessed steelhead spawning on the American last weekend and they were no where near the basin. Salmon spawning throughout the American.
    Yes there are salmon spawning in the river throughout. The problem is that the number of offspring those fish will produce is extremely minuscule and the amount of those which will make it to the ocean and back will be less than minuscule.

1-2 out of 5,000 Chinook eggs survives to return as an adult to its river of origin. We likely had a return of 10,000 salmon and perhaps 1,000 females (probably much less) will have successfully spawned in the river by the time the carcass count surveys are completed. 1,000-2,000 additional kings is not sustainable considering in 2003 we had 163,000 return to the Nimbus Hatchery alone...

As for steelhead... How many adult steelies have you caught over the years? and I don't mean smolts, young of year or 2-year residualized fish... I mean true adults 3-5 years in salt 28"-34".

Out of thousands of ADULT steelhead I have caught in the American River over the last 30 years, I can tell you I have caught only a few dozen with adipose fin intact (not counting Folsom and Natoma footballs which plunge over the spillway/s at Folsom/Nimbus.

What Avidangler said is spot-on.

Instead of trying to make the American River something it cannot possibly be, why not at least make it what it can be...

Mitigation hatcheries are just that,to mitigate habitat loss. That was a selling point for damming up these rivers. So promises need to be kept IMO. If I were managing our fisheries I would plant ample fish in rivers where habitat loss was severely degraded or lost. This spreads angling pressure around,thus alleviating pressure on native fish stocks. I am no biologist but I am fairly informed on fisheries management. And all across the board on the west coast our fisheries managers are having to deal with bureaucrats and special interest groups,water diversions,infighting. It's a real mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    You can't go Steelheading once a year.....you have to go at least 6 times to get any odds going for you and pay your dues.
    When talking to people that go even more than this and still no fish you know there are some shenanigans going on! Fact is guides love to boast in the social media age. And not a peep even from them! It’s a fact at one point where we have to acknowledge there are not many returning period.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Quote Originally Posted by avidangler View Post
    Mitigation hatcheries are just that,to mitigate habitat loss. That was a selling point for damming up these rivers. So promises need to be kept IMO. If I were managing our fisheries I would plant ample fish in rivers where habitat loss was severely degraded or lost. This spreads angling pressure around,thus alleviating pressure on native fish stocks. I am no biologist but I am fairly informed on fisheries management. And all across the board on the west coast our fisheries managers are having to deal with bureaucrats and special interest groups,water diversions,infighting. It's a real mess.

The math is simple when you cut damn near 95% of all spawning grounds for the American river and you want to argue, it’s not because of numbers released or bonk hatchery fish to save the wild ones...... One might just thing a person needs their head checked. Well put in your post! It’s like 1+1 basic simple math and people with “degrees” want to argue otherwise. Just sad really what it’s become. Just like up north they want better numbers but allow the slaughter of thousands of fish by gill nets. But we still need to save the salmon! Isn’t that the meaning of counter intuitive?!?

SMH!
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I was on a popular river in Northern California last week and the harbor seals were all the way up by the put in. We saw them in different spots on the entire drift. It was out of hand.

avidangler,
    A "popular" killing zone for seals/sea lions has been the estuary at Redwood Creek in Orick.
    Have seen them as far upstream on the Smith near the state campground. A difficult situation
    considering the Marine Mammal Protection Act versus endangered species like salmon and steelhead.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    avidangler,
    A "popular" killing zone for seals/sea lions has been the estuary at Redwood Creek in Orick.
    Have seen them as far upstream on the Smith near the state campground. A difficult situation
    considering the Marine Mammal Protection Act versus endangered species like salmon and steelhead.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego
    They are in every stream . Every single one .

Any improvement on the 2020 steelhead run on the American?. It's been a couple of weeks since the last time I fished it and at that time there were very few fish in the system.

Quote Originally Posted by mogaru View Post
    Any improvement on the 2020 steelhead run on the American?. It's been a couple of weeks since the last time I fished it and at that time there were very few fish in the system.
    I believe it is still the same, unfortunately.