Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rattles in Flies....

Question Rattles in Flies....

This subject came up on Blanton's BB and in the discussion, the following information was posted about the hearing capabilities of Stripers and other fish:

"....The Virginia Institute of Marine Science tested the hearing of stripers. They connected a probe to the ear nerve and exposed the fish to various sounds, and recorded the response (if any) in the nerve. They concluded that stripers cannot hear the small glass and plastic rattles that are typically used in flies. I do not think the research findings on stripers are available on line but I will look. Dr. Horodysky did the research, and at a seminar he summarized that stripers (and many more inshore fish) do not hear the little rattles. They did hear the larger buckshot-size rattling sound made by plugs (like a rattletrap). He also did not think they could hear conversations in a boat. So we don't need to speak softly in a boat. They also cannot hear the high frequencies of a fish finder. Interestingly, menhaden (a favorite food of dolphins and whales) could hear high frequencies of these predator's sonar!

I quit using rattles on most flies after hearing his talk. I have not noticed any difference. Some of his work is here...

https://science.hamptonu.edu/mes/faculty/horodysky.cfm"

Many fly guys/guides use rattles in their flies and are sold on their effectiveness. Maybe this info will help in making choices. Food for thought when tying/using flies for Stripers.
    Last edited by Darian; 01-11-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,

I read the same thing on Blanton's board. Maybe they can't hear, who's to say they don't feel the fly or the vibrations the fly makes in the water with there very sensitive lateral lines? I tie tons of flies for the Brazil guys who will only buy flies that have rattles installed for Peacock bass. I even install them in my Air heads I sell. I am going to tie them in my Nighttime tarpon flies for this May...my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Question Rattles....

Carl,.... What type of rattle do you tie into your flies, glass, plastic or metal??
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Rattles in Flies are reasonably common in Australia,especially for aggressive tropical ambush species like Barramundi who react to the vibration.Flathead are another species that are drawn to rattles.

Interesting read.

I didn’t put them in my striper flies for years. A friend was kicking my tail badly one day gave me one of his with a rattle and it got bit.

Since then I’ve tied with and without rattles and fished them back and forth. Without fail if I’m getting bit and switch to a fly without a rattle I lose the bite. Go back to the rattle and it turns back on.

I know my story is anecdotal and compared to a scientific study I have no credibility.

But that’s my experience.

Mr T

The scientists say that Striper's "can't hear" I am A big believer in that they feel things that they can't see especially in dark colored water through there extremely sensitive lateral line. my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Darian,

GLASS

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Mr T

The scientists say that Striper's "can't hear" I am A big believer in that they feel things that they can't see especially in dark colored water through there extremely sensitive lateral line. my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
    Carl, I don’t think that they hear in the same sense that humans do, but absolutely the lateral line is a factor in how they locate and identify prey.I think the rattle is something that gets their attention, and brings them toward that sound which then gives your fly a chance to be seen. And for the record I did start out with plastic rattles, and found that the glass version seems to be much more effective.

Mr T,

I think we are both on about the same page. My customers want rattles , rattles they get.

For my own personal flies in Mexico, I don't use any rattles since 95% of my fishing is sight fishing. I have some more trolling flies yet to tie for 2020 in Loreto, perhaps I'll tie some with rattles, just for the hell of it

Carl Blackledge

Lucky Craft LV 500, Pointer 127s and 128s........ enough said.