Thread: Pyramid Report 1/08/2020

Default Pyramid Report 1/08/2020

Boy, it's kinda' strange typing in the year 2020 for a fishing report...........................

Here goes gang.............................................

Woke up @ 6:00 with one helluva' nasty headache.
    Nope................... wasn't alcohol/chemical induced, it just happened.........................

Scampered into the kitchen and downed a couple of Advil with coffee and saw that we had a little dusting of snow last night.
    I gave serious thought to just "blowin' off" fishing at Pyramid today with a headache like this one.

Around 8:00 my headache FINALLY started to go away so I started rounding up my Pyramid gear.

Shower and shave and then on the road @ 9:20.

Arrived at "that southern beach I like to frequent" around 10:45.
    There was no Carmen, no Bill Quinn, no Bob (Coltss), or ANYONE for that matter............
    The beach was completely deserted ....................................... and stayed that way, all day long!!!!!

This didn't look like a good sign especially since we're very close to a full moon.
    I did see two cars @ Sandhole and one car at Indian Head however.

So, I suited up and was on the water by 11:00........ with my five prior skunkin's and the near full moon thoughts bouncing around in my head.

There was a light WNW wind and partly cloudy skies today and enough wind to create chop, yet not enough to bite through my layers to get me chilled.

The first two and a half hours I tried catoring' my "Dual Balanced Leech" rig, two midges, balanced Tui-chub, and balanced leeches with zero results..............looked like it was going to be yet another skunk report from me......................

Around 1:30 I decided go to back to fishing two midges lots shallower and closer in.
    I recalled reading in a recent guide fishing report that claimed the fish "should/would" be in close and gobbling up midges near the drop offs.

I figured "at this point, what the heck do I have to loose", I shortened up to about 7 feet and started casting out to about 40 feet.
    Within 10 minutes I landed my first Pyramid fish.............. since November 4th......................... which is a little over TWO MONTHS AGO.

For the next two hours I finally had some Pyramid action..................................

I managed to go 3 for 8 with one spectacular LDR at about 30-40 feet out.
    I did land a "Big Boy"........somewhere around the tenish range.
    The LDR cutthroat thought he was a steelhead as he made two leaps out of the water and spit my hook on his second leap.......................nice show and good fun !!!!

Oh, what were the fish eating ???? ................... the Cherry Bomb midge....... at least the three I landed and the LDR "leaping cutthroat".
    It seems like red and black has been the productive color combo this year.

I slogged out of the water @ 4:30 today happy as a clam !!!

It sure felt good to put a bend in the switch rod today !!!

I just wish I would have arrived earlier AND fished shorter and shallower a lot sooner.

For the ride home, my small thermos of Vegetable Beef soup with the necessary salt and pepper with a couple of dashes of Tabasco.

Dang cutthroats......................................

Bob

Never give up!

Bob I can’t tell you how happy i am for you to get the skunk off!

Bob you broke your rule of fishing on a full moon�� Maybe thinking out of the box and reading the Reno Fly shop report helps a lot�� So happy for you and again thanks for sharing your successes.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    Bob you broke your rule of fishing on a full moon�� Maybe thinking out of the box and reading the Reno Fly shop report helps a lot�� So happy for you and again thanks for sharing your successes.
    Yep, I did indeed fish during the full moon cycle....................................out of desperation !!!!!!!

I just had to get back out on the big lake and chase my skunk away.

I thought the "Dual Balanced Leech Rig" was going to be my ticket.

As it turned out, I'm certain I've been fishing way too far out.
    Those 70-100 foot roll casts are nice and purdy, but, the fish were close to shore.
    I probably should have tried the DBLR in close, but I was having too much fun hooking fish in that two-hour window and didn't want to change what was working.

And my decision to change back to the double midge rig in close came from the most recent Pyramid Fly Co.
    Report.
    Check this out: https://www.pyramidflyco.com/fishing-reports

So, I fished using the intel from the RFS and PFC.................

Looks like next Wednesday (between the forecast storms) will be the day for me to try and go again.

Hope the fish are still there and hungry.

Dang Cutthroats.................................

Bob

Well done , great to read your success

Brilliant news

Steve

Nice Bob! I think i may have been missing out on some fish that were closer than i thought too when i was there new years.. i did see several fish surface not too far out, but everyone was casting so far figured that was the way to do it. Going to try nymphing more too when i go back. Goes to show it pays to try different things.