Thread: Dual Balanced Leech Rig ?????

Default Dual Balanced Leech Rig ?????

I just read the Pyramid Lake report from the RFS and there was this piece of advise within,"and we're focusing on dual balanced leech rigs".

Maybe this a closely guarded "secret"............such as Area 51........... that was accidentally let out of the bag.....................

So is there anyone "in the know" that can explain how this is rigged or set-up.

Assuming the "dual balanced leech rig" is hung under a 'cator, I'm more than curious about this.

Google has not been my friend on this one.

Bob

Maybe two ‘captors, one in between the flies- w really long droppers??

I’m slinging poop again the wall here!

I guess they mean a tandem rig with two balanced leeches under a bobber?
    Im heading to pyramid lake wed and thurs this week for the new year, going to try nymphing with the bobber more than i have in the past with the cooler temps. Was going to go swing flies on the eel instead, but am feeling the urge to hook a fish more than usual and feel like theres a smaller chance, even if only a little bit, of getting skunked at pyramid. Have only fished pyramid maybe 8-10 times though, and find it extremeley hit or miss, im sure because im a newbie. If anyone sees an old white tacoma with a blue shell come say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    I guess they mean a tandem rig with two balanced leeches under a bobber?
    Im heading to pyramid lake wed and thurs this week for the new year, going to try nymphing with the bobber more than i have in the past with the cooler temps. Was going to go swing flies on the eel instead, but am feeling the urge to hook a fish more than usual and feel like theres a smaller chance, even if only a little bit, of getting skunked at pyramid. Have only fished pyramid maybe 8-10 times though, and find it extremeley hit or miss, im sure because im a newbie. If anyone sees an old white tacoma with a blue shell come say hello.
    Hey Jcolin,

I "think" I'm going to give Pyramid another shot Wednesday or Thursday myself.
    I'll keep a eye out for your white taco with a blue shell and maybe we'll cross paths !!!
    I drive a gray Jeep Grand Cherokee and will be wading (no ladder) and roll casting with my switch rod .

I'm pretty sure the RFS report is/was suggesting using two leeches under a 'cator.

I've been scratching my head on this one ............... and had a bit of an "epiphany".

I'm thinking the dual balanced leech rig uses the "usual/conventional" heavily weighted balanced leech as the bottom fly.
    The top leech would be an unweighted leech (tied using a straight eyed hook) tied in/on the leader "drop shot style" a few feet above the bottom leech.
    Using one of a couple different ways to tie the top leech in (dependent upon which way the hook eye and hook point would be facing), would yield the top fly tied directly into the leader, at the eye, and the bottom leech tied off in the top leeches eye (inline). That "should" make/allow both leeches to ride horizontal........... and bounce in the chop.

Hopefully, this will work and be "the ticket".

I found and ordered a 25 pack of straight vertical eyed hooks yesterday and as soon as they come in I'll be at the vise spinning up a few non-weighted leeches to try.

The bottom line for me was.............. figure out how to get the top leech to ride horizontal in the water.

We'll see if this a bust or not.

Good luck to you if we don't happen to cross paths.

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 12-31-2019 at 10:45 AM.

I ordered up a few “Rowleys Balanced Baitfish” with the idea of showing the trout something different though mostly chose them with an eye toward Tahoe and not Pyramid. They’re good looking flies, very close imitation to chub and well weighted so might work in a dual rig as you suggest.

Now just need to peel myself away from steelhead fishing and give them a try...

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    I ordered up a few “Rowleys Balanced Baitfish” with the idea of showing the trout something different though mostly chose them with an eye toward Tahoe and not Pyramid. They’re good looking flies, very close imitation to chub and well weighted so might work in a dual rig as you suggest.

Now just need to peel myself away from steelhead fishing and give them a try...
    Two flies PV ????

Bob

Default Just a little update

Just a little update on my quest of the "Dual Balanced Leech Rig".

Being impatient , I found a pack of Tiemco TMC 9395 size 6 hooks locally and brought 'em home to give them a try.

The 9395's have a horizontal straight eye on them and are 3X heavy and 4X long.

I spun up some unweighted leeches in various colors using Simi-Seal MEGA dubbing and they look pretty darned good !!!!

I used this easy to tie Dropshot Knot in this video: https://youtu.be/BCk_wMW08nw

My leech did exactly what I wanted it to do..........hang horizontal in the water.
    The TMC 9395's and the above dropper knot seem to be a perfect match.

The bad news:

I woke up on New Years Day with a rather painful crick/kink on the right side of my neck/shoulder and I didn't feel much like fishing while in pain.
    This was one of those "move like a robot" for a couple of days till it loosens up..........................
    Unfortunately, that lead to my decision to blow off fishing the lake for a few days, so no Pyramid Report from me.

Hopefully I'll be able to fish this coming week and try out "my version" of the "Dual Balanced Leech Rig".

Wishin' I was fishin',

Bob

I fished new years day and yesterday. Beautiful weather but really slow fishing. I felt lucky to hook one 8-10 lb fish in 2 days of fishing hard. Lost my phone to the lake, i was fishing off the jetty near the marina, usually have it tucked away securely but spaced out and it fell between the cracks of the rocks. Tore off my waders and layers and tried to wade in and feel around with my hands and feet but at 730 am and 43 degree water it was not very pleasant. When i was fishing sandhole a few hours later after giving up, realized i left my sunglasses at the jetty but luckily some other fisherman saved them for me. So a pretty rough day for me and quickly became an expensive trip. Other anglers were so kind, some tried to help me look for it and a couple of guys with spinning rods brought me some breakfast over from their camper. Pyramids such a great place to fish i had a hard time being in a bad mood even with the slow fishing and losing my phone and the kindness from strangers. Bob i thought about your reports when i was cooking soup on my tailgate, hope your neck gets better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    I fished new years day and yesterday. Beautiful weather but really slow fishing. I felt lucky to hook one 8-10 lb fish in 2 days of fishing hard. Lost my phone to the lake, i was fishing off the jetty near the marina, usually have it tucked away securely but spaced out and it fell between the cracks of the rocks. Tore off my waders and layers and tried to wade in and feel around with my hands and feet but at 730 am and 43 degree water it was not very pleasant. When i was fishing sandhole a few hours later after giving up, realized i left my sunglasses at the jetty but luckily some other fisherman saved them for me. So a pretty rough day for me and quickly became an expensive trip. Other anglers were so kind, some tried to help me look for it and a couple of guys with spinning rods brought me some breakfast over from their camper. Pyramids such a great place to fish i had a hard time being in a bad mood even with the slow fishing and losing my phone and the kindness from strangers. Bob i thought about your reports when i was cooking soup on my tailgate, hope your neck gets better soon.
    Jcolin,

First off..........Thank you for your Pyramid report !!
    I've been watching the weather here at home and wondering how you did.
    To say the least, yep, Pyramid has been rather slow...................................don't I know it !!!!

Second............ahhhhhh sh$@ on losing your phone.
    THAT raised your "cost per fish" significantly ..............................

Third......... the kindness of the folks who tried to help you find your phone, the fisherman that saved your sunglasses till you returned, and the spinning rod guys that brought you breakfast certainly has restored a lot of "faith in humanity" in my eyes.
    Unfortunately, we don't hear of many stories like that "nowadays".

Glad you had a good time, even though your "cost per fish" went through the roof on this trip.

My neck.............................Advil has been my friend the last couple of days.

Maybe catch you at the lake next time ??????

Dang Cutthroats........................................ ............................

Bob

You can tie on a regular wooly bugger 1st.
    then in the same eye of the bugger add the tippet that goes to the balanced leach (on jig hook)
    the bugger will ride horizontal. I've used this for bass and its worked. haven't tried at pyramid yet
    "I never saw a fish I didn't want to catch"