Seems like a cold overcast day, at the beginning of winter on the coast is a good day to start thinking ahead to my anticipated trout (and tango...) trip in June. I cannot think of a better way to start than mining the collective wisdom on this board.

Mid June I will be heading to Boise, via Bend, OR for an event. I will be in Boise June 12-14. Following that event I will head to McCloud, CA for another opportunity to dance and fish.

Over the years I have fished a great deal around McCloud so my plans once I am in that area are pretty well secured...Fall, Upper Sac, etc.

I have never fished anywhere near the Bend area or in Idaho so I am looking for places to see and fish along any of that route, especially the route from Boise toward McCloud. Most likely using Highways 26/20/395 once I am in Oregon. This is Not to say I must only fish that route...if you tell me an hour or two south of Boise or an hour north of Vale is a river I should not miss I am very flexible.

I know I will be near/crossing the Snake and Malheur for some of the trip and, of course, The Boise when I am in town and I look forward to spending some time on those rivers (Though I have just read the Boise is closed in June...?) but I also love to explore smaller streams. Fact is I prefer smaller streams.

Another place I have never fished is the area around Alturas. I seem to remember reading and article years back about the headwaters of the Pit up that way.

As per the usual disclaimer many write here, I am not after your most secret spot, just general recommendations as to where to "get off the highway" and get my feet wet. I am not a big trophy fishing fellow and I do not even need big "numbers", I fish to find quiet places for the most part.

As always I appreciate any input.