Thread: Thinking Way Ahead - Boise to McCloud

Default Thinking Way Ahead - Boise to McCloud

Seems like a cold overcast day, at the beginning of winter on the coast is a good day to start thinking ahead to my anticipated trout (and tango...) trip in June. I cannot think of a better way to start than mining the collective wisdom on this board.

Mid June I will be heading to Boise, via Bend, OR for an event. I will be in Boise June 12-14. Following that event I will head to McCloud, CA for another opportunity to dance and fish.

Over the years I have fished a great deal around McCloud so my plans once I am in that area are pretty well secured...Fall, Upper Sac, etc.

I have never fished anywhere near the Bend area or in Idaho so I am looking for places to see and fish along any of that route, especially the route from Boise toward McCloud. Most likely using Highways 26/20/395 once I am in Oregon. This is Not to say I must only fish that route...if you tell me an hour or two south of Boise or an hour north of Vale is a river I should not miss I am very flexible.

I know I will be near/crossing the Snake and Malheur for some of the trip and, of course, The Boise when I am in town and I look forward to spending some time on those rivers (Though I have just read the Boise is closed in June...?) but I also love to explore smaller streams. Fact is I prefer smaller streams.

Another place I have never fished is the area around Alturas. I seem to remember reading and article years back about the headwaters of the Pit up that way.

As per the usual disclaimer many write here, I am not after your most secret spot, just general recommendations as to where to "get off the highway" and get my feet wet. I am not a big trophy fishing fellow and I do not even need big "numbers", I fish to find quiet places for the most part.

As always I appreciate any input.

It’s hardly unknown, and I doubt this will start a stampede towards it. Don’t miss the Owyhee below Owyhee Reservoir. Its a little over an hour west of Boise, and is probably your best shot at a 20”+ brown on a dry. Lots of guys fish streamers as well, and it can be stupid good with a bobber, but I just love it on the surface. It’s a high desert, low gradient river, similar in size to the Truckee. Don’t ignore the slow water.
    Last edited by hwchubb; 12-27-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    It’s hardly unknown, and I doubt this will start a stampede towards it. Don’t miss the Owyhee below Owyhee Reservoir. Its a little over an hour west of Boise, and is probably your best shot at a 20”+ brown on a dry. Lots of guys fish streamers as well, and it can be stupid good with a bobber, but I just love it on the surface. It’s a high desert, low gradient river, similar in size to the Truckee. Don’t ignore the slow water.
    Great recommendation here...

Don't forget about the Metolius for feisty redsides and a shot a bull trout.

June might be OK on the Boise area rivers...I was there this past Memorial Day weekend and everything was blown out with runoff. Not sure the regs but call Idaho Angler for a friendly recommendation around town and other nearby fisheries that might be worth visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Great recommendation here...

Don't forget about the Metolius for feisty redsides and a shot a bull trout.

June might be OK on the Boise area rivers...I was there this past Memorial Day weekend and everything was blown out with runoff. Not sure the regs but call Idaho Angler for a friendly recommendation around town and other nearby fisheries that might be worth visiting.
    Anywhere in the Cascade Lakes area is a winner, but PV is right - the Metolius is something special (and a challenge). You’ll be a bit late for the Salmonfly hatch on the Deschutes, but will probably still be some Golden Stones and definitely caddis. I don’t know much about the waters east of Prineville, but there must be some high desert stillwaters or tiny redband creeks that would be worth a stop. Sounds like it could be one heckuva trip, the more I think about it...

One last stop would be the North Umpqua, if you come down 5. June is at the early end, but I have raised (and failed to hook, as I recall) one or two steelhead there in the middle / latter part of the month. Like the Metolius, worth it just to see it.

Hi Bob,
    I would fish the Owyhee River which has already been mentioned, and I would certainly fish the South Fork of the Boise River below Anderson Ranch Dam. It's located several miles East of Mountain Home on the way to Sun Valley. Both are great waters and if you hit it right, it's about as much fun as you can have standing up! You should check the out flows of both dams for your time in Idaho. Anderson Ranch can throw off lots of water in a wet year, especially in the spring. Almost impossible to wade. There also a variety of still water in the area. If you're a float tuber or pontoon guy you should bring it along. Silver Creek and the Big Wood are in the Ketchum/SunValley area. Both have seasons but if your dates are correct you'll be fine. General season opens the last Saturday in May. Silver Creek is spring fed so its about the same level most of the year. Big Wood gets lots of run-off. Have a great time! Joel

The Fall River outside Bend is fun if you get there when its not crowded. Sight fishing mostly. Mix of stockers and wild fish. Some big Redband trout in there!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.