Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smith question

Sir,

If that fish was indeed caught on a cast fly from the Smith River, that would be an outstanding trophy, and as you said, a difficult task however not impossible. Great picture Great Trophy.

Carl

Beautiful fish. Carl would/do you guys also fish for steelhead in a similar way to chinook? I mean anchoring prams in deep holes and stripping flies with sinking lines? From reading chatham’s anglers coast and other accounts from folks that have fished these rivers much longer than me it has me curious about trying it in some of the deep holes on the russian from my pontoon. Ive gotten bit enough times stripping my fly back to make another cast when swinging that it seems like it would work well in deep holes as long as you can get deep enough.

Jcolin,

I fish out of my pram all the time on the Russian river for Steelhead never Salmon. It's nice to fish by yourself if you use the pram. I also don't find it necessary to fish deep for Steelhead, When fishing for Steelhead you would go through almost the same motions as if fishing for Salmon however the Steelhead on average or only about 5-6 feet deep where the salmon will be near the bottom in most cases. I mostly use an intermediate and depending on water speed (CFS) I might use a number 1 or number 2 shooting head sink rate. The old Cortland blue intermediate has caught more steelhead then all lines put together! We use to buy the Cortland blue line full length in double taper then wack it in half and make two 30 foot shooting heads out of it. You can also buy the Cortland Camo line in full lenth double taper and do the same thing, I think I have 5 or 6 of those still new in the package made into shooting heads. As far as the retrieve, I don't, I just try and stay in-touch with the line. When casting I keep adjusting the up stream casting angle till I find what I think is the best speed and depth and as the line swings to the end of the drift and starts to rise that's usually the grab spot, for me anyway. If you went with a competent guide for a day or even a half day you just might save a lot of time learning the rules on the Russian, I would like to refer you to a good fly fishing guide on the Russian, however i don't know of any. Of course if you call around there is always somebody ready to take your money I hope some of this helps? Carl Blackledge
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 12-27-2019 at 03:16 PM.

@WLREDBAND

Outstanding!
    Larry S
    Sun Diego
    Last edited by Larry S; 12-27-2019 at 05:01 PM. Reason: name

Jcolin,
    Experience taught us that any flows below 7-feet in the park meant the river was too
    low and clear for us. Headed for the Chetco, which, incidentally has much more spey-switch
    type water. As far as the Smith, try the water in the park just below Hiouchi; lots of room.
    If you cross to the other side at the forks and drive down toward Stout Grove, there's
    swing water above White Horse.
    StreamTime maps for both the Smith and Chetco are great investments.
    Looking forward to your reports.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Just to clarify, I did not catch that fish (wish I did!). I know the guy holding the camera!

Great info there, thanks very much Carl. I need to try fishing the deeper, slower holes in the lower river instead of just the good swing runs.

Thanks Larry, think when i go i should spend the extra money on an out of state license and fish the chetco too if im already up there

Jcolin,
    I would wait until you're up there to decide. We used to spend a week or more in Hiouchi. When the Smith
    lowered and cleared, we'd head to the Chetco. IMHO, the Smith is the fastest rising and quickest clearing stream you'll
    ever encounter. We've seen it go up 10-feet over night and then 2-3 days later you're fishing the edges.
    Haven't fished it for 12 years or so. It's truly an experience to fish it whether or not you do well.
    Go for it!
    If you email or PM me your address, I can probably send you my StreamTime maps. Fishing
    stuff needs to be used!
    Larry S

Jcolin,

Why fish the deeper pools?

If you go down to Casini's ranch and pay your small fee you will see wonderful fishing water, and don't go far out, the fish travel 10 feet off shore and you will see the Vs as the fish go up the River on a falling tides, Stay back from the water at least 10 feet and cast away. They are hard to catch as most moving fish are but they do bite. good luck

Carl