Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smith question

I used to fish Cassini a lot when things were happening. Carl's right on about fishing close in.

Just across from Cassini is Austin Creek and there used to be access there too. I'd often stop there and fish till dark on my way up to our hunting club past Cazadero. We hunted pigs all winter long during steelhead season.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

@Tony,
    One of the things I love about the Kiene forum is the collection of
    old timers with their wealth of experiences and knowledge coupled
    with the younger set offering a new outlook and fresh way
    of dealing with the changing conditions. We all have so much to learn from
    and to offer each other.
    Best to you,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Great thread! Has anyone ever had any luck deep nymphing through those hard to reach runs and pockets wade-fishing? Maybe on one of the Smith forks?

Pupa,
    Some interesting water on the South Fork with the right conditions.
    Pull off at "Sand Camp." Unfortunately, private ownership has entered the discussion.
    Still, worth a try. Hike downstream a bit for a deep run.

Thanks for all the info guys. Ill have to try Cassinis this year. Have wanted to float from Monte Rio to Cassini in my pontoon to be able to fish the Austin creek riffle but have been hesitant due to all the frog water.

Floated Guerneville to Monte Rio yesterday, got one smolt and that was it. Hoping this rain brings some fish up, the report I'm getting from other anglers I talk to on the river is not very good, not much news of big winter fish caught yet.

I’ve fished the Smith for 60+ years. It’s always been a Love/Hate relationship though. Spent 2 weeks at the CG above Gasquet back in 2013 and almost drew a blank except for one hookup that decided saltwater was more to his liking and outran me heading down river. That take was on a white plastic worm under a float.

Some good advice here from Carl and others. Fish the edges carefully! If you get that really clear water use bright green on a nickel hook with a splash of purple somewhere. Best advise I can give is don’t waste to much time with a fly rod just swallow your pride and fish a nightcrawler. I like the South Fork best.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Hi Carl, thanks for the response. Without a doubt, people still fly fish the Smith river, though I realize you may not. Do they catch them consistently and on a regular basis? I'm sure they don't. I don't on any river in general in the winter, I know I'm lucky to hook (not land) 3 winter steelhead a season swinging flies on the Russian river and Mendocino coastal rivers, and I'm on the water as much as possible during the winter, weather permitting, even if its only an hour before work. If I spend 3 days swinging flies on the South Fork Eel and I get a single legitimate grab that's a good trip. So to be clear, obviously a 3 day trip to the Smith would likely result in a skunk, as do most days for me swinging flies for winter steelhead.
    Best description of steelhead fishing, at least in my world, I have read in a long time.
    Mendocino coast streams are just too beautiful to pass by without fishing them and way too beautiful to worry about catching anything.

BobVP and Jcolin,
    Fished the 10 Mile several times back in the 70's. Had to get permission at Ft Bragg.
    Completely different from other coastal streams. I think the estuary is now closed.
    Even Alder Creek deserved a look. I'm wondering if casting into the surf
    near those rivers might be worth a try.
    Best to you,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

I think you gotta love just being outside in a river, that kind of baptismal experience. Catching or hooking a fish is a plus.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Agreed! I love the Smith, and have pretty much no interest in fishing gear or bait personally, so I swing flies... mostly for nothing other than hope. It’s a special river, and I really wish it were more productive for those of us who love to swing flies, but it is what it is. I have no intention of just giving up, but I have to agree that the cards here really are stacked against you. For all the reasons mentioned, and for the fact that the guides there are probably some of the most inconsiderate you will find anywhere imo. My sense is that due to the fact that it is a very challenging fishery for them as well, they tend to view fly fishermen as an added obstacle rather than a legitimate fellow angler (just my perception of things). Given the clear water it’s pretty tough when you have boats floating right over the fish that are holding in more moderate depths, and right over your fly line in the process. Heading up the various forks helps get away from most of that, but it’s still extremely challenging fishing and extremely dynamic flow fluctuations in the winter months. If you do manage to land a steelhead there it will be special and memorable! I still look forward to going despite the fact that I have by far the most hours fished per grab of anywhere I’ve ever fished...
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown