Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wulff Ambush vs Rio Chucker?

Default Chucker = Clunker

Quote Originally Posted by Pvillarr View Post
    Does anyone have experience comparing the two lines? I am looking for an intergrated line for my #3 switch rod. Thanks in advance.
    I have fished both side-by-side on my 3 wt short spey. FWIW, I'd say the Wulff Ambush has an advantage for dry presentations or soft hackles, but that's about it. Not at all my favorite line in this category, but mileage varies as we all know. That said, I would pick the Ambush over the Clunker unless I decide to lob a hamster pattern into my yard to catch that fox that has been coming around lately.

+1 on Brian's advice for a better option than those two.

I think an integrated line, one piece, would be preferable for most doing Single Hand Spey casting, particularly on smaller water, so you don't have that loop to loop connection going through the tip top and guides.

The Rio "inTouch Trout Spey" full line is for Summer/Fall fishing with tapered leaders or shorter Versi leaders and smaller flies.

https://www.rioproducts.com/products/intouch-trout-spey

The Rio "inTouch Trout Skagit Spey" full line is for MOW tips or Tungsten tips with heavier flies in the Winter, mostly.

https://www.rioproducts.com/products...git-trout-spey

According to Lincoln Gray who has used all these line, these are the best thing today.

**Still getting the right line weight for your single hand or two hand rod is critical.

Give Lincoln a call to discuss your needs.....530/345-4261.....Sierra Stream & Mountain fly shop, Chico, CA.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

what are you going to do with the rod? I would only use switch chucker if I was going to bobber nymph. It is a compromise line - can do a little of everything half-assed. The Ambush has some memory - it keeps a coil. If I were going to purely throw streamers I would get a skagit - if you want integrated OPST, Scientific Anglers have integrated skagit heads. SA has an integrated scandi as well - look up "spey lite"
    Last edited by Trouter925; 12-02-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I have yet to try the Rio trout spey lines yet but I do now own the Rio Chucker, Wulff Ambush, and OPST (Integrated and Head-Only). As stated previously, the Chucker is good for indicators but suffers on distance, the Ambush is similar to the Chucker with a thinner running line but has coiling memory issues in cold climates, and the OPSTs can throw some serious weight but may not cast as far as longer heads. Personally, I like the Airflo Skagit Scouts for switch rods and even some rods up to 12.'

...too much gear with so little time...thanks again for all the feedback.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I have yet to try the Rio trout spey lines yet but I do now own the Rio Chucker, Wulff Ambush, and OPST (Integrated and Head-Only). As stated previously, the Chucker is good for indicators but suffers on distance, the Ambush is similar to the Chucker with a thinner running line but has coiling memory issues in cold climates, and the OPSTs can throw some serious weight but may not cast as far as longer heads. Personally, I like the Airflo Skagit Scouts for switch rods and even some rods up to 12.'

...too much gear with so little time...thanks again for all the feedback.
    Some updates from my side.

Bought an ACR1255 -- love it with a .026 Rio connectcore shooting line and the Rio 350gr trout spey head @ 22', which amounts to a slightly compressed #7 Rio scandi body.

ACR 1134 - been fishing this with a 265gr (#5) Scandi body, but have a 270gr SA spey lite scandi and 240gr SA spey lite skagit intermediate that will probably be better, need to line these up and fish them yet.

Awaiting delivery on OPST commando groove 225gr (for the 1255), 300gr and 325gr (for an 11' 7wt switch, whichever i don't like will be resold). The 3x for 2 deal was useful.

Scandi Bodys are wonderful graceful lines. I own quite a few all the way up to 400 grains. However, they can't cast as big of flies as some of the other options above.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Some updates from my side.

Bought an ACR1255 -- love it with a .026 Rio connectcore shooting line and the Rio 350gr trout spey head @ 22', which amounts to a slightly compressed #7 Rio scandi body.

ACR 1134 - been fishing this with a 265gr (#5) Scandi body, but have a 270gr SA spey lite scandi and 240gr SA spey lite skagit intermediate that will probably be better, need to line these up and fish them yet.

Awaiting delivery on OPST commando groove 225gr (for the 1255), 300gr and 325gr (for an 11' 7wt switch, whichever i don't like will be resold). The 3x for 2 deal was useful.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Scandi Bodys are wonderful graceful lines. I own quite a few all the way up to 400 grains. However, they can't cast as big of flies as some of the other options above.
    Agree, I would not want to be chucking a big articulated Galloup streamer with one, nor a heavy lead wrapped/bead chain intruder. Though I rarely fish flies like that, I always find myself gravitating toward smaller/slimmer flies, which means the SB's rarely come off my reels. Call it confidence I guess?

I was fishing a size 4 sculpzilla on the #3 rod back in ID a couple of weeks ago using a 305 scandi body. It wasn't great, but it got the job done when the alternative was walking a mile back to the car to get the skagit head. The bigger mistake I made was letting my girlfriend fish with the 1255 and leaving me stuck with the 1134

I have the ACR 1134 Nova 2 and it's a pretty punchy little 4 wt that likes a Scandi Lite 270 integrated line in my hands.