Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wulff Ambush vs Rio Chucker?

Default Wulff Ambush vs Rio Chucker?

Does anyone have experience comparing the two lines? I am looking for an intergrated line for my #3 switch rod. Thanks in advance.

Call Lincoln Gray at Sierra Stream & Mountain in Chico, CA.

He would/should be familiar with both lines.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Call Lincoln Gray at Sierra Stream & Mountain in Chico, CA.

He would/should be familiar with both lines.
    Thank you.

Check out the OPST Commando smooth works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Mitox View Post
    Check out the OPST Commando smooth works great!
    Yeah, I have multiple OPST heads but not the smooth. I do like the heads but with 12' tips on my switch rod. I was just curious about trying something else.

I have tried both the Ambush and the Chucker on by 11' 5wt switch rod. They are similar for 2-handed casting and both handle sink tips. An odd thing happened on the second day using the Chucker, I noticed a gash in the head exposing the core, I don't know how it got there. I went back to the Ambush and stuck with it for serval years now. I always use a poly/versi leader with the Ambush.

What I like about the Ambush, is the ability to shoot a roll cast, when there is limited room to wade out from shore. What I don't like is the integrated running line, which does not shoot as well as a thinner shooting line. I think that they sale a head only.

I have read that the Chucker was better when using indicators, but I don't use those much.

Interesting when I bought the Ambush for my 5wt, I followed the wt + 2 rule and ended up with a 7wt 265 grain line. This line was much too light for my 5wt, and I later purchased the correct weight. The good thing; that orig. 7wt 265 grain line worked great on a 7wt single handed rod for throwing sink-tips. When I pruchased a 3wt spey rod last year, the 265 grain laned right in grain window for that rod. Which made it pretty versatile.

I guess it is desirable to have an integrated fly line for Single Hand Spey casting.

Spey casting veteran Doug Duncan prefers heads for two hand Spey casting so he can choose his running line.

At Kiene's we can cut lines and put welded loops on both ends for people.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thank you for all the info. Personally, I prefer a head system with OPST lazar running line. However, I wanted to try an integrated line for my 3 wt switch rod to be able to throw streamers without have the connection bump into the guides.

I'd recommend checking out Rios Intouch Skagit trout spey. I personally fish/use both the trout Skagit and spey heads for single handed as well as smaller/shorter switch rods and love them for swinging. Short, compact, casts easily and packs a punch in a short head. The intouch Skagit spey is fully integrated and I feel works way better than the rio chucker line, never been a huge fan of the chucker.
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer

I agree with Brian, with the advent of the new Rio, SA and OPST integrated skagit and scandi lines there are better options than the chucker for dedicated swing fishing. One thing I do give the chucker props for is being an excellent lake line for long roll casting with indicators, like at Pyramid.