Thread: Stainless Props?

Default Stainless Props?

Hey folks,

My propeller had an unfortunate encounter with some river rocks last summer and there are a few chunks missing and some bends in the propeller. It looks like it's the original prop from the factory on a mid 80's Evinrude 35hp 2 stroke. I was thinking of getting a new prop and have been considering a stainless one as I will likely be using this boat in the Humboldt bay for the next couple years. Is there an advantage to stainless over aluminum for occasional salt use or would it be fine as long as the motor gets a good cleaning with fresh water after each use? Also, if someone has recommendations for a new prop or an extra one laying around, I'm all ears.

My two cents,
    The reason most people use a stainless steel prop over an aluminum prop is because stainless has less flex under load and hence they tend to keep their pitch constant for better performance. With a 35 hp 2-stroke on a fishing boat I doubt you would see much improvement when going to a stainless steel prop. As far as hitting things stainless is less likely to break and more likely to bend when hitting rocks etc, which may allow you to limp home after a strike. However, there is also a chance that the shaft will break due to the harder material on the prop transmitting more shock energy to the shaft.

Aluminum props are cheaper and more economical and if there is a risk of hitting something the prop will sacrifice itself rather than the shaft. In lower HP motors you don't have to worry about the additional flex being it is so minor and you are not racing or pulling skiers.

Probably better in your case to stick with aluminum as either material holds up well in saltwater as long as you are diligent in your wash down with freshwater after you remove the boat from the water.

Regards,

Tim C.

Captain Andy Guibord @ Kiene's Fly Shop is the expert on destroying aluminum props.

He has someone he took them to who would weld them up and repair them.

Check with Mr Wilson @ Sacramento Outboards in West Sacramento.

He might have a used one or advice.

Online those aluminum props are about $60.00 new
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Aluminum is fine for what you describe. DCR Props in north highlands has been around for years and can do repairs. For 60 dollars new however, make it likely easier and cheaper to buy a new one.

If you’re gonna run in salt, make sure you update the zincs on the motor, and grease the prop shaft well when you install the prop.

Good info Mr T

Thanks......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks for the info, fellas. I suppose I'll go ahead and pick up an Aluminum prop and new zinc plates. 60 bucks for a new prop sounds awesome. And chipping a $60 prop is much more appealing than shearing a shaft with a stainless prop.